New
Find
Notify
Tools

General rule
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK, I know there is no general rule and if there is one, it has exceptions, BUT:

in the same caliber going from lighter to heavier bullets generally asks for slower or faster propellant?

If the question is too stupid, sorry, engineers always search for logicSmiler

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I usually find a slower powder gives me better results with heavier bullets but, I don`t know that it`s a general rule or even a Lt, or sgt rule.....

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Same caliber I normally go to slower powders as the bullet weight increase.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Joe & Ramrod.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Czech_Made:
OK, I know there is no general rule and if there is one, it has exceptions, BUT:

in the same caliber going from lighter to heavier bullets generally asks for slower or faster propellant?

If the question is too stupid, sorry, engineers always search for logicSmiler

I'll use the engineer's classic out; 'that depends.'

If what you're looking for is maximum velocity with acceptable pressure, then you would generally go for a slower powder with heavier bullets. If what you want is a subsonic load, such as for a suppressed rifle, then you would likely go with a fast powder with heavy bullets.

Another reason to go with a fast powder would be for a lower recoil load since recoil results both from the mass of the bullet and from the mass of the powder being burned and you usually use less weight (i.e., mass acted on by gravity) of a fast powder than you do of a slow one.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
The cartridge makes a difference.

You might have great results with Reloader 22 pushing a 180gr Accubond out of a 300RUM. You could load that same powder to push the same bullet in a 30-06. But you may find that H4350 (a faster powder than RL22) works much better than the RL22 does for you.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
You might have great results with Reloader 22 pushing a 180gr Accubond out of a 300RUM. You could load that same powder to push the same bullet in a 30-06. But you may find that H4350 (a faster powder than RL22) works much better than the RL22 does for you.

I agree that the slowest powder you might end up using will vary. IE: rl25 or 7828 in a large magnum case and maybe 4350 or 4831 in an 06 but I see the trend still there. Heavier bullet slower powder. Case capacity and bullet will impact just how slow you end up.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A quick read of any loading manual will show that light bullets get fast powders, vice versa.

We kick a soccer ball, we push a boulder.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gentlemen.

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote