New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser 95 will not shoot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an accuracy problem with a s/h. B 95 I bought. It is a 12/70- 30-06 configuration.

With factory ammo it groups three inches at 100 yards. With carefully handloaded ammo that shoots under half an inch in my bold rifle, it will not do better than two inches with an occasinal flyer, two inches off the group.
(Sierra GK 150 gr. over 52 gr. VV N150)
I checked everything:

Scope: Kahles, 3-12 x56 with rail, just returned from Kahles in Austria, where I had it cleaned, refilled with nitrogen and serviced. Scope was tested for parallax and found shotproof. The scope is on an orginal Blaser sattlemount, glued in, all screws tight.

I adjusted the mount levers to the same amount of pressure needed to shift the lock lever forward, as advised by Blaser.

The crown is sharp, no dents or scratches. The bore is clean and shiny; the rifling is sharp, although there are a few minor pits, only visible with a strong magnifying glass.

I checked the screws in the adjustment bridge.
The rifled barrel is slightly off centre with the shotgunbarrel, probably to adjust it to the smooth barrel for the use of slugs. I didn't try slugs yet.
The adjusmentscrews are not too tight and I backed off the counterscrew 1/4 turn, as advised in the Blaser manual.
I even removed the rubber band between the barrels to see if this would make any difference.

What else can be wrong?
What level of accuracy can be expected from a combination gun with free floating barrels?
What groups do you, B 95 owners get from your guns?

I can't ask the previous owner becuase he passed away and I bought the gun from his father.

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is kind of hard to get an overview of how accurate BBF95s are. Some people claim fabulous accuracy, but then again, some people claim "perfect everything" about whatever gun they own. We see a bunch of these guns on the range, and I get the impression they are normally a good deal more accurate than the run of the mill BBF with soldered barrels. On the other hand, the people who shoot them are rarely concerned with pin-point accuracy.

I have a BBF95 in .222 Rem, and it certainly does not shoot as well as my bolt guns in .222. It probably shoots about 1-1.2" groups (5@100) on a good day. Easily sufficient for hunting, but hardly match type accuracy.

I'm not going to attempt to tell you what to do next, it seems like you have thought of quite a lot - in particular the adjustments screws for the rifle barrel. I once tried to remove mine entirely, but it did not seem to be the magic wand I had hoped for. When I later brought it to my smith for accuracy test/improvement, he insisted he needed the screws in there to be able to "tune" the barrel. True or not, I don't know, but I have left the screws in there since then.

I doubt you'll get a lot of takers on your question here, BBFs are not that common in the US, so you may be limited to European input. One place you might ask (in German, preferably), would be on the forum from Wild und Hund: WuH Forum. There will a bunch of people there, who have the same gun as you do.

Good luck

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reindeer:
...With factory ammo it groups three inches at 100 yards. With carefully handloaded ammo that shoots under half an inch in my bold rifle, it will not do better than two inches with an occasinal flyer, two inches off the group....What else can be wrong?...
Hey Reindeer, I've never had a Blaser, so I have no idea at all about the specific "tinkering" with the rifle.

However, it appears from the above that you just put the Load that worked well in one rifle into the Blaser without doing any Load Development for the Blaser. There are a lot of folks that believe in that exact method, but it is full-of-beans.

Here it is refered to as the ocw method, but would be more properly named the ocwf(adding the word "fiasco"). Just because one particular Load works well in one rifle, doesn't mean it will be worth a clinton in anything else.

If you really want an accurate Load for the Blaser, get all the "tinkering tricks" completed and then Develop A Load for it from below.

If that sound slike too large of a project, go buy as many different kinds of Factory Ammo as you can find and try them. And include different Bullet weights. Just because you want to use a specific Bullet weight, does not necessarily mean that your rifle will shoot it well. It may prefer a lighter Bullet, the weight you want it to use, or a heavier weight.

At least that is how it works for me in all the rifles I've ever had.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found the problem.

It is the scope, although it just returned from service.
I changed scopes at a gunshop, took three shots at 100 metres, group size 19 mm!

Unbelievable but true, so I sent the scope back where is came from and hope to find out what went wrong!

I'll keep you informed about the outcome of all this.

Thanks for your replies

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool, sometimes things come together unexpectedly!! Less than an inch with a combination gun - definitely cause for rejoice!
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reindeer:
I found the problem. ...
Hey Reindeer, Good for you. Amazing shooting with a Randomly picked Load.

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reindeer,

my B95 - 30/06 likes 180 grain Nosler PTs better than the 150 grain PT and BTs which already shoot well. I did not check but it might be because of the rifling rate.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote