Find
Notify
Tools

Ejection Failure
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
I have a Savage Model 14 in 300 WSM I have been loading for with no trouble for three years. I used the rifle this year during deer season and noticed the rifle will not eject a loaded round. If I shoot the load, the spent case is ejected as normal, but it will not pull a loaded round from the chamber. I had to push the round out with a cleaning rod. I full-length sized the brass prior to loading. Any ideas? FWIW: I'm loading Win cases / Hornady 150 grain SST / 63 grains of H4350 / nowhere near the lands (box magazine) / cases have been loaded 3 or 4 times.

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a headspace issue! I would look into -- Have the gun checked with a go-nogo gauge for headspace or try a factory load cartridge and see if it extracts the unfired round. If it pulls out the factory round you may be mashing down the shoulder headspace when you are resizing. As I recall the short magnum series are not belted so the shoulder area head space deminsion is critical. When you fire the round it is getting forced back into what ever mechanisim grips the rim of the cartridge to extract. If headspace is loose(of the chamber or cartridge) when you close the bolt and not fire it,the cartridge is not getting forced back into the extractor grabber thingie. (Sounds technical huh?)

Posts: 68 | Location: Wasilla Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasilla:
Sounds like a headspace issue! I would look into -- Have the gun checked with a go-nogo gauge for headspace or try a factory load cartridge and see if it extracts the unfired round. If it pulls out the factory round you may be mashing down the shoulder headspace when you are resizing. As I recall the short magnum series are not belted so the shoulder area head space deminsion is critical. When you fire the round it is getting forced back into what ever mechanisim grips the rim of the cartridge to extract. If headspace is loose(of the chamber or cartridge) when you close the bolt and not fire it,the cartridge is not getting forced back into the extractor grabber thingie. (Sounds technical huh?)

Good point! I failed to mention I tried a factory round and it ejected fine, so the issue is with my loads???

Reloaders Haul Brass!

One of Us
Picture of rick boggs
posted Hide Post
how old is the brass ? i the ejction ring on the rounds worn ? what part of KY

Posts: 518 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
Edmonton, KY.

I have loaded this brass at least three times. I guess it could be worn, but I cannot tell by looking??

Reloaders Haul Brass!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The extractors on those rifles were kind of cheesy when they were a 110. See if yours is damaged.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say the issue IS with your loads. Take one of your fired brass, drop it in the chamber and see if the bolt extracts it. If it does I would back off the resize die a turn. Sprinkle graphite on the neck / shoulder of a lubed case and run it in the die, it will be obvious how far the resize process went. NOW turn down the die in small incriments till the shoulder is ALMOST touched. Clamp the lock ring there and load up box. Now go enjoy the fruit of your process!!! I think your problem will have been addressed.

Posts: 68 | Location: Wasilla Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might ask the question on ;

www.savageshooters.com

Those guys really know that rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Bigbird34
posted Hide Post
I would suggest measuring your brass OAL, if it is to long ,it will get caught up in the lands and grooves of your rifle,and will not extract....your brass haven been shot a few times may exceed the factory length ,so it will need to be trimmed etc ...BB34

Posts: 126 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote