Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 260
 Login/Join

posted
I've purchased a Ruger M77 compact rifle in the Remington 260 caliber, for my wife and 9 year old daughter and need some reloading advice. I want to shoot the Hornady 129gr SST bullets. My main concern is creating a load with as little felt recoil as possible. I don't want my daughter to become afraid of recoil. We will be using the gun for whitetail. As long as I can get adequate killing performance out to 175 yards, I'll be satisfied. Can anyone direct me on Powder? Powder amount? Primer? Thanks,

Posts: 1 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On their website, Hodgdon has "youth" loads that are low velocity. Choose light-for-caliber bullets, and you will have low recoil.

IIRC, the "Youth" section at Hodgdon is difficult to access. Peruse your menus carefully; it's on the left column if memory serves. You must go to the DATA area first.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Gary, Check your manuals before loading this is from memory only... I loaded for my 8 year old nephew 125 Partitions with 35 or 36 grains of IMR 4064. Killed deer dead, and was easy for him to control. Same rifle.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
For very low recoil look at Noslers 100 gr Partition and a starting load of Varget or 4064. The bullet was designed for deer from the 260 Rem. Keep the velocity down, you don`t need much for the ranges you are talking of, and the recoil will be next to nothing.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 100 gr bullets and between 18 and 25 gr Blue Dot will be between 2300 fps and 2800 fps.

Put on a Limbsaver recoil pad.
Mine makes the 300 Win mag feel like a 30-30.

Get lots of hearing protection on them, plugs and ear muffs. Make sure the eye protection is not compromising the ear muff seal.

Get them involved in the work up, and ask them when they have reached the limit of recoil and noise.

The hotter the load, the longer the range, but they can't hit anything if they are afraid of the rifle.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I LOAD 42 GRS OF RL-15 WITH A 120. IT IS PRETTY WARM. BUT GRAET FOR 300 + YARDS. BUTT IF YOU START WITH THE STARTING LOAD OF 4064, RL-15, 4320 VARGET,WLR PRIMER, AND A 120 GRAINER. I THINK YOU WILL BE FINE. DONT MESS AROUND WITH BLUE DOT! IT WAS DESINGED FOR MAG. PISTAL LOADS. AND HOT SHOT SHELLS. STICK WITH A POWDER DISINGED FOR YOUR CARTAGE.

Posts: 1136 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
There isn;t much recoil w/ the 120-129gr bullets but the 100gr @ 2800fps will be lighter still. I haven;t used the 129grSST but using IMR4895 to get you about 2600fps will still be pretty low recoiling.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I use 48.0 grs of H4831SC under Hornady 129gr SPs in my Kimber 84M (all safety caveats apply-warm load). Very accurate in that rifle, drops deer DRT.

I don't find recoil to be an issue with the 260 Rem.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend in that small of a rifle, to start out at 15 grains of Blue Dot and work up to about 20 as max...

With that you can turn the rifle into a good 200 yds killer with the 129s...

Remember to zero 3.5 inches high at 100 yds, and you should be dead on at 200 with an MV in the 2250fps range...and 3.5 inches low at about 240 yds... which is way more than enough...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote