New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Rum questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
first I fairly new to reloading. I have some 338 250 gr. sierra gamekings. I have the nosler reloading guide that list 250 gr partitions. Can I swap the gamekings for the partitions? the partitions have a shorter ogive so I dont think it will be a pressure issue. Also I have Viht n560 powder for this. Will this work well for a 338 rum or are there better powders available for it? I am going to buy a sierra manual but the local store is out and I need these rounds by thursday night. If someone with quickload or sierra manual could tell me what min and max for the 338 rum with viht N560 and 250 gamekings that would be cool.

Posts: 55 | Location: OKC | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my most accurate .338rum load is 97.0g H1000 behind a 225 Nosler Accubond using Remington brass and CCI mag primers, have used up to 100.5g but 97g was best accuracy

50bmg half inch holes ...... at long range!

Posts: 207 | Location: South Central Montana | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by skog:
first I fairly new to reloading. I have some 338 250 gr. sierra gamekings. I have the nosler reloading guide that list 250 gr partitions. Can I swap the gamekings for the partitions? the partitions have a shorter ogive so I dont think it will be a pressure issue. Also I have Viht n560 powder for this. Will this work well for a 338 rum or are there better powders available for it? I am going to buy a sierra manual but the local store is out and I need these rounds by thursday night. If someone with quickload or sierra manual could tell me what min and max for the 338 rum with viht N560 and 250 gamekings that would be cool.[/QUOTE
YES BUT DON'T DO IT THE OTHER WAY AROUND..
the partitions have a thicker jacket..

Third eye blinds the other two!
A bullet smith.

Posts: 61 | Location: ga | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have used VV N-560 in 338 Rum. this powder works very well. I used it with 250 grain bullets.

Posts: 146 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well went back to the store and they were still out of manuals but had a display copy laying around. I went and copied the data that I needed. The max nosler was middle load for sierras. I will have to try H1000. any ideas what a gameking will do to a critter at 2800 fps. might take it out for coyotes if I get a load worked up.

Thanks for all the help for a new guy.
skog

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i wouldnt worry to much about pressure as long as your oal is correct. the only differance that i can think of is the amount of powder, the type of powder and the oal.
it is always better to change loadings during the off season so you have time to work up a load. while the gamekings are a decent bullett, i personally feel the nosler partitions are by far the best all around bullett for the money.
i have shot 15 elk with 1 shot kills using a 210 nosler partition- thats proof enough for me

Posts: 41 | Location: everett,wash | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree on partitions for big animals, elk, moose bear. I was thinking deer and coyotes. They dont look extrememly sturdy and at high velocities I think they would just expoled. Also any body have any loads for the new tipped 160 gr barnes. I would think you could push these around 3800 to 4000 fps. This would be a sweet long range pronghorn or yote load.