New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS - Ohaus Scales
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I own several sets of Ohuas made RCBS scales.

2 x505 and 1x 1010. Was able to purchase them cheaply given advent of electronic/digital scales.

Have moved house and I did not do the packing!!

Have all the major parts of the scales intact, apart from end loop, heavy base pan and scoop (for powder).

Does anyone know if RCBS made all these parts the same weight over the period of 505 and 1010 manufacture by Ohaus.

Don't want to purchase replacement parts for the scales, as frankly cannot recall which heavy base pan, goes with which powder pan, goes with which end loop from end of beam?

Yes, I can and will email RCBS, but the scales don't have any serial numbers, so not sure if there may have been changes over the years.

Obviously I want sets with all matching components for pretty basic reason.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 43 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 13 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can assenble one complete scale that can be zeroed, that's all you need accomplish.

Those are good scales but they were not made with the precision of a watch, so exactly matching what went where origianlly isn't much of a valid concern.

IF you can't get anything to zero properly, change the coarse adjustment hanger weights by adding or removing some until it does zero. The weights are under the phillips head screw in the center of the hanger.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
You could check them with a weight like a projectile.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I started using my new 1010 scale I didn't like the plastic?? powder pan that came with it so I used the brass pan from my 505 scale, but I had to remove some of the lead pellets in the pan holder in order to zero the scale. There is no magic in this, the pan and platform must be of a certain weight in order to get the balance beam to center close enough so that it can be fine tuned with the adjustment leg screw. If the beam pointer reads zero with an empty pan it is good to go.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote