New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronograph suggestions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am playing around with the idea of picking up a chrono to see what velocities I am getting from my loads. I'm not interested in a lot of bells and whistles like printers or shot string averages but rather ease and reliability of operation is the important thing.
Anyone have any recommendations or definate models to avoid?

Thanks

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Pact I have been using since about 1987 is just fine. It requires no maintenance.

www.pact.com

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger:

Take a good look at the Chrony. I have had one for almost 10 years, its great, and inexpensive (about $75 from Midway).

Posts: 26 | Location: Marilla, NY, outside of Buffalo | Registered: 11 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently own a pact and a chrony both are great machines but the pact is more reliable when light conditions are not perfect.

Posts: 56 | Location: WV | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can only reccomend an Oehler. Buying anything else is like putting a cheap scope on a prized rifle. Hope this helps and if you get one the printer is worth its weight in gold. Rich

Posts: 113 | Location: WIsconsin | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pact 1 has worked well for me and the price is right too. Be sure you get the mounting bar for the skyscreens.

Posts: 49 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The cheapest Chrony you can buy.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oehler model 35P, but leave off the P. $225 direct from Austin, Texas. You can write down all the info on a piece of paper after each shot string. The printer can be added later, however.

Bells and whistles? The chronograph is the basis of all efforts toward scientifically achieving accurate handloads. If you want to learn about the load development then statistical analysis of the shot string is needed. The chip inside that provides the math for velocity of each shot, the spread between highest and lowest velocity, the standard deviation, the average velocity and the number of shots fired costs very little compared to the sky screens and the clock [or clocks, in the case of Oehler] that measure time in 4 million parts of a second. Oehler is considered the 'Cadillac' of personal chronographs. But if you only require one akin to a 'Pinto' that's OK too. You pays your money and makes your choice. Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any money you pay over the cost of a Chrony is bucks pissed away on whistles, bells and a mis-guided idea that "if it cost more, it must be better". You said you wanted to know how fast your bullets are going. A Chrony will tell you that. Mine has been telling me that every since they first came out. Pretty good track record for a cheapo. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions all, I think I am going to get the mid-range Pact 1. It's not bottom-of-the-barrel but neither it does it cost what the Oehler does.

Onefunzr2:
Yep, for my purposes anything other than telling me how fast my last shot was going and doing it easily and consistantly is bells and whistles for me. I'm not after scientifically accurate benchrest loads with no more than +- 5fps between shots. I don't clean primer pockets (unless they're really bad), check for runout, mill my necks to the same thickness all the way around or keep my brass categorized by batch #, weight, brand or even times loaded. The brass I order new, get from factory loads, and find in the gravel at the range are all in the same sack. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

thanks again all,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cost to much, maybe. But the Oehler's have a couple of features other than sensitivity and accuracy that haven't been mentioned yet. One is it's 'shooting window' is larger. Another is that except for the shooting window, the chrony is at the bench with or behind you. That makes it a lot less likely that you or someone else will shoot the high dollar parts. There are plenty of postings about how many chrony's have been shot or when one shoots their chrony for the first time. Best-o-Luck

Posts: 267 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 01 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger#1,

I had a look around the Pact website. They claim that the model 1 competes directly with the Oehler 35. So it looks like you're buying 'bells and whistles' anyway. Now that you got 'em, you might as well use 'em to load more accurate ammo. I'm sure the Pact instructions will teach you how. Good luck and good shooting.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hehe, I changed my mind that evening after looking around the chrony site again. I ordered their factory reconditioned bottom-of-the-barrel used one for 49.95. Heck, it comes with a 1 year warranty, I'll return it if it doesn't work. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ruger#1:
hehe, I changed my mind that evening after looking around the chrony site again. I ordered their factory reconditioned bottom-of-the-barrel used one for 49.95. Heck, it comes with a 1 year warranty, I'll return it if it doesn't work. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Exactly what I did -- about 18 months ago.

Mine is still working perfectly!

No complaints, so I kept it and spent more money on powder, primers and bullets!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote goes for the Oehler 35P had one for years of heavy use, when I'm not using it my buddy is. Not one problem. Get the bigger sun shades.---Shoot Safe--- montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had the Pact for about 10 years. I just got the Oehler last christmas and haven't had a chance to use it but 4 times.
What I have noticed...
The Pact is much easier to set up than the Oehler.
The mounting bar for the skyscreens is sturdier and less apt to fall over with the Pact unless you get the Oehler with the 4 ft. skyscreens and 2 tripods.
The set up time for the two is similar.
The Oehler works better in low light (ie-early and late). I have had some problems getting the Oehler to read 22 and 25 cal. jacketed rifle bullets in bright sun, though.
The Oehler won't read the velocity of a pellet.
The chronograph box for the Pact is more user friendly than the Oehler.

What does this mean? The verdict is still out until I give the Oehler a more thorough evaluation but right now I am looking at going back to the Pact. Never thought I would say that after hearing the Oehler was such a supreme machine- before I bought one no less. I just ain't seeing it...

Just my 0.02 cents worth.

Beau

Posts: 41 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got my factory reconditioned chrony in today... I dunno what they did to call it "reconditioned" but it looks like the previous owner kept it for a good long time before sending it back.. paint is well chipped and scraped up. I suppose that doesn't matter tho if it works correctly, I will be taking it out on monday and putting everything I got over it from my 22lr and 45 colt pistols to 22-250 and 30-06 rifles. Might even shoot the ol 50 cal smokepole over it if I feel like cleaning it afterward.

posted Hide Post
I would vote for the least expensive Chrony also. I just record the velocities from that particular string and also list the gun make and model, the load info of powder and weight and bullet and weight.

Later, in the wee hours of the morning I will type in the velocities into my spreadsheet and the program will do all the caluculations.

Since I already have the computer and the spreadsheet program why pay some chronograph manufacturer for all the bells and whistles which I can get later at home. However, if a power factor is need for competition and needed "right now" then maybe the extra cost could be worth it.

Posts: 10 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Get ANY chrono.... you'll waste more $$ on powder and bullets than you will GAIN from using the chrono

I have had 2 chrony's (shot one), and I am kinda in the process of getting a pact, just to see.

jeffe

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Wink] Pact gets my vote. I've had mine for over 10yrs. Only shot the sky screens twice. There cheap only $25.00 to replace. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody ever seen reconditioned Oehlers for sale? The awnser is NO, they work the way they're suppose to the first time! [Wink] Anybody that has a reconditioning department is freakin suspect, ya think? [Roll Eyes] Good luck with it though, you'll probably need all you can get, at least that's what the guy that used to own it would probably tell you. [Big Grin] Sorry, I couldn't resist. [Wink] It ain't no crap shoot with an Oehler, that's all.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
Gentlemen -- I used Chronys for 5 years. Started out with a Beta model, added a printer, liked the simplicity of the operation. I used it so much, my diffusers broke, I patched them up and went on. I noticed on bright sunny days I had trouble seeing my readout, and on occasions my readings were beyond usual readings for the loads. I eventually went to a Gamma model, used it for two years, the same thing happened, diffusers broke, I patched them up and went on, still noticing occasional spikes in readings on bright sunny days. Then I purchased an Oehler 35P. A little more set-up time, but by leaving my bar with the diffusers set up then just screwed onto a camera tri-pod, it is no hassle. Now I can trust all readings, the printer works much more consistently, and the shoot-through space is much larger, thus avoiding hitting the diffusers. The diffusers are much more stronger and steadier, and don't break with use. The mistake shot, when it comes only affects the diffusers, not the guts of the machine. Bottom line, after using both extensively three days a week, year in and year out, the Oehler shines for me. [Wink] Good shooting.

Picture of barefootarkie
posted Hide Post
One point to make for the Oehler model 35, is
the fact that it has a proof screen. It gives two readings for each shot. Errors are easely
caught. This sold me on the Oehler.

Posts: 51 | Location: Redfield,Ar | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The verdict is in... I took it to the range today. I put about 100 rounds over it, a combination of 22LR and 45 Colt, and not once did the display leave the 0000 mark. It was a clear bright day. Looks like I'll be stepping up to the Pact 1. Let's hope that one works... This one is going back where it came from.

[ 04-14-2003, 04:08: Message edited by: Ruger#1 ]

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ruger#1:
The verdict is in... I took it to the range today. I put about 100 rounds over it, a combination of 22LR and 45 Colt, and not once did the display leave the 0000 mark. It was a clear bright day. Looks like I'll be stepping up to the Pact 1. Let's hope that one works... This one is going back where it came from.

You should be aware that a BRIGHT CLEAR day is the most difficult for chronographs. A cloudy day is much better.

Did you use the diffuser screens? You need them on a sunny day (but not on a cloudy day).

Of course, this one could have been defective.. and with that many rounds over it it seems that this is the most likely.

At least the company is good to deal with!

Good luck,

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I used the screens, but when I got back and actually sat down and took the time to read the directions, it said NOT to use them on clear days... in any case, I am going back today to rule out operator headspace and timing before I pack it up. I already have the Pact in my Midway shopping cart just in case. [Smile]

Good shooting,

one of us
posted Hide Post
back from the range again... today, no screens and still clear and bright it operated just fine and seemed pretty accurate. It appears that yesterday was operator headspace, not a problem with the chrono.

thanks for the replies and good shooting,