Find
Notify
Tools

looking for a starting load for .308
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
hi all

im gonna start reloading .308 and im looking for a good round and starting point. im shootin a remmy 700 pss. i am currently using h335 for other cals and would like to stick with that. i have pulled bullets from other rounds and they all use a short stick powder. should i consider switching to a short stick powder rather than the ball powder?

thanks
lojack

one of us
posted Hide Post
try varget. you will not be disappointed.

Posts: 211 | Location: MT | Registered: 24 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... I have a Robar SR60 Tactical Rifle based on the Rem 700 action and developed the load below based upon the following criteria:

1) Accuracy (out to 300 yards)
2) Not over stress the brass (longer life)
3) Not over stress the gun since I'm just punching holes in paper.

Case: Lapua (For the $ best available - only second to Norma) Cases are all trimmed to 2.010 (tolerence -.005)

Bullet: Sierra 168gr BTHP (rifle liked Sierra better than Hornady)

Primer: Federal 210 (Large Rifle Primer)

Powder: IMR3031 - 37.5 grains (2400 fps)

Rifle + Ammo + Shooter Performace: .25 MOA at 100 yards when I do my part! [Big Grin]

Have fun developing your load! It's half the fun!

Posts: 26 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it will work and is very accurate, and so is Imr3031-will send info [Wink]

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've never used H355 for a 308 and you haven't said what bullet you want to shoot, but for 130-150 grn bullets I've had great luck with BLC-2. With 165 grain and heavier bullets I use IMR 4064 exclusively.
Start at the starting loads in the manuals and the best results for me have run in the upper third of the recommended powder charge weights.

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck with the VV 500 powders, I get a little more speed w/o much more pressure. I also get great groups, the only issue is that it is expensive and only meters well in my Harrell.

Varget also works well and burns clean.

Posts: 6 | Location: texas, usa | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote