New
Find
Notify
Tools

copper removal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently got a rem 700 in 7mm08. Took it to the range and did the one shot and clean break in routine. Break in was done with remington factory loads and after about 13 rounds it didnt hardly pick up any copper fouling. The break in was done with a powder solvent and sweets to strip all fouling out. My point is that I finally got my nosler bal tips in and started loading my test rounds. I fired ONE round and now I can hardly get the copper from the single nosler bullet off of the lands. Any one else have this problem before? I got most of it out but can still see a few traces on the lands. Very small specks. Would you just let it ride. I have heard that it isnt harmfull to accuracy because the copper kind of fills in the rougher areas of the bore. All opinions are appreciated.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be concerned with a small amount of copper as long as it doesn't build up too quickly and cause a premature deterioration in accuracy. Let the barrel tell you how much fouling it will take.

If the fouling bothers you and you are having a hard time getting it out, try Wipe Out. This is a foaming bore cleaner that kicks the crap out of copper without having to scrub the bore at all. Spray the foam in, let it set for 20 min. and wipe the copper and powder residue out. Great stuff, and easier on the bore than most other cleaning methods.

If the barrel is picking up fouling abnormally fast you would be well advised to check the interior with a borescope particularly the throat area.

Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advise papaschmud. I have been wanting to try wipeout. As far as the fouling, it just surprised me because it didnt hardly foul when shooting the remington factory corelokt bullets. Ballistic tips must have a softer copper jacket.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a remington mtn rifle in 25-06. Never did a break in on it cause I really don't believe it makes a difference. Anyhow just 2 shots and the tops of the lands are totally orange. YET this gun is a tack driver. AND I've never had it foul down the accuracy. I've even had some pretty long sessions mixing bullets like long 115 grain barnes--the old ones that had a terrible rep for fouling.
Re-the wipeout. I sure love it. The other night a friend and I went out shooting. I was shooting my 300 wby and we had to stop at the local tavern for supper and a couple beers. Got home late...ran a boresnake down the tube two times...put in my boreguide and gave a shot of wipout from the muzzle till it made the boreguide. Put it level in my gun vise with a drip pan under the muzzle. Went to bed. Came down in the morning...pushed out the liquid that looked like the innards of a blue ink pen...ran about 5 patches of kroil till they were spotless. Took a look in the muzzle and not a trace of orange. Total cleaning time.....maybe 5 minutes max!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Brumbelow:
Would you just let it ride. All opinions are appreciated.

Get some Wipe Out and make it go away over night.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Had the same problem and used "Wipe Out". Good product. Once I switched to Barnes Triple Shock, no more problems.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rifle shoots best after 10 rounds or so. A little copper helps smooth out the rough spots. If I let it go for 80-100 rounds (I clean with powder solvent every 20-40 rounds, but don't remove copper till 80) accuracy starts to suffer a little. JB bore paste and Sweets Copper solvent work best for me.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went to the range today to test loads with H4350 and 140 gr nosler ballistic tips. It was a good day. The copper is no harder to remove after 30 rounds than it is after one round. The more I shot and the higher the powder charge the more accurate it got. No group was over an inch at 100 yds and the best group was just under half an inch with a max charge of H4350. I was going to try H380 but have decided to stick with H4350 because it gives a little more velocity and the accuracy at this point is more that acceptable. The rounds were all fresh brass so groups will at least be more consistant if not a tad smaller once the brass is sized for my rifle's chamber.

Thanks for all the input.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got some Wipe Out yesterday from Midway after reading the posts on this stuff and I have to admit it does seem to get more copper out after you think your barrel is mirror clean. I think I like it! By the way, a buddy of mine told me an effective way of seeing where the rough spots are located in a barrel rather than just feeling them. Just run a pinch of cotton ball through the bore and strands of cotton will catch on the rough spots. Anyway, that Wipe Out seems to be some primo stuff. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote