Find
Notify
Tools

Rhino 404 bullet disappointment
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I decided to build up some loads with the Rhino Solid Shank bullets, 400 grain, for my 404 Jeffery. I usually start off with just two or three cartridges. What a disappointment when I chambered the first cartridge and couldn't close the bolt. I pulled back hard on the bolt handle (since pulling back easy didn't budge anything) and out came the case, without the bullet, and as the case flew by it sprayed propellant in a nice arc. Bullet was of course stuck in the lands. Now, have any of you any experience with the Rhino bullet in the 404 Jeffery? This is the first bullet I have tried which, when seated to the crimping groove, is too long for my rifle. I have already tried the Swift A-Frame, the Hawks and the Northforks. Also what should the freebore be in this caliber?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Hey Wink, the freebore is pretty short in a original spec. .404jeffery reamer. Alf can probably confirm this. I have not seen the Rhino bullets but I have no problem using 380grNF, 400gr Woodleigh softs or solids, or 400gr Barnes solids loaded to the crimp groove (the Barnes crimps just over the frist band. Can you seat any deeper?

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Wink

I had a similar issue with RHINO monometal banded solids in .416 Rigby. To keep the bullet off the lands I had to seat to the very front "band" without crimping -- OAL 3.470" vs. 3.690" (410-gr Federal), 3.610" (Hornady RN) and 3.620" (400-gr RHINO molycoated).

The solids shot well deeply seated, BTW. With all that bearing surface I figure the issue of OAL changing under recoil becomes moot.

Barry

Posts: 4849 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Wink,

Friend of mine used Rhino softs in his 404 and accuracy was alright, within 35mm at 100m, but from the wounds it appears to be a very tough bullet design, or a very hard batch.

What was the COL of your ammo?

First batches of rhino I used in 7mm and 30cal were not very uniform. Crimp groove position varied between the boxes- it’s a great bullet design, pretty similar to Jack Carters TBB and I hope they have gotten over the Monday morning troubles now. A Rhino without moly would be even better IMHO.

Cheers
/JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Wink, I've no experience with the Bullet or Cartridge you are using.

But, use the old Cleaning Rod Method to determine the Kiss-the-Lands distance. Once you do that, you "might" be able to trim the Case a bit shorter and still be able to Crimp it where you want to.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Alf, OK but then why would Rhino place the crimping groove at a point which risks it being seated out too far for the standard leade?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
Alf, OK but then why would Rhino place the crimping groove at a point which risks it being seated out too far for the standard leade?

I'll bet their test rifle had a slightly longer throat. I hear there are so many diff. reamers out for the .404j that getting "proper" speced chabers is diff. I love mine, even w/ it's slightly short throat. dancing

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink,

Seat the Rhino's a few millimeters deeper, and use the Lee Factory Crimp Die I sent you.

It will hold anything under recoil, including solids.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Kobus at Rhino has responded to my inquiry about this and says he is moving back slightly the crimping groove to account for this in the next batch he makes.