New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 brass into 35 Whelen brass
 Login/Join

Picture of danmcqueen
posted
Has anyone had any experience making 35 Whelen brass out of 30-06 brass?...the new Whelen brass is hard to come by ,So thought I'd make my own??

Posts: 8 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: 11 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It use to be common practice. Nothing wrong with it other than you end up with bastard cases. Marked 30-06 and set up for a 35 caliber bullets.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's real easy. Lube the case and the inside of the neck and run it though the .35 Whelen full length die. Clean off lube, prome, powder and bullet and you're good to go. make sure your FL die has a tapered expander otherwise you an/will lose some brass.
I load for three .35 Whelens and use Remington factory brass for the custom Mauser, LC 51 milsurp for the Remington 700 Classic and PS8 Korean milsurp for the Ruger M77. My factory 06 brass is saved for my 06. Wink The powder I prefer is RL15 BTW with the 225 gr. Barnes TSX. It really does a smackdown on elk.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The only down side is the 30-06 headstamp...

But its purty hard not to notice the case once

its loaded with a 250 gr slug...I use 308 brass

for my 358 Win ammo...

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old You might consider expanding in 2 or 3 stages. The stamping thing can be taken care of with a permanent marker color code on the ass end beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Half of my 35 Whelen AI brass is 30-06 brass, have no problems with it at all, and been reloading it for years. No problem for me as I don't have a 30-06, but as bartsche said, color code the case head with sharpy or fingernail polish or your favorite color.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have done it for mine, one nice thing is that it is as close to impossible as things can get to chamber a loaded Whelen road in a 30-06 and the difference between 30 and 35 caliber is pretty easy to eyeball with empty cases.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can use Mil brass the you have just a date and manufacture code no caliber.

Thats what I do with my 338-06

Posts: 19448 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be doing this soon. Don't want to use Rem 35 brass. Want to try some Lapua 06 brass necked up for my Whelen. I ordered a tapered expander from Sinclair a few days ago.

One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
The Redding 35 whelen FLS die has a really nice tapered expander.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As others have said, it is very easy with regular brass. Just lube and run through the 35W sizer.
Nickle brass is a pain, however, and may result in some splits. I was able to reduce splits by heating the necks and expanding while hot. Probably not a good idea, but it worked for me.

MFH

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BISCUT:
I'll be doing this soon. Don't want to use Rem 35 brass. Want to try some Lapua 06 brass necked up for my Whelen. I ordered a tapered expander from Sinclair a few days ago.

Roll EyesAt the risk of being beaten about the head and shoulders; does anyone really think that the Lapua brass is going to make any difference in a 35 Whelen hunting rifle ? Me, thinks NOT. shocker roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BillCx55
posted Hide Post
I will second what everyone else has said. Easy to neck up from 30 cal. One pass, just use some good lube (imperial works well) and go slow. I have shot my brass more than 4 or 5 times....and that's after necking up once fired 30-06 brass.

Posts: 41 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've never owned a piece of .35 Whelen head stamped brass. The .35 Whelen and .338-06 have always been so easy to own.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lube inside the case at the neck/ shoulder with
imperial die wax using a q-tIP. if you get neck
splits anneal with a candle until your fingers
get warm and quench in water.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of danmcqueen
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great suggestions...good stuff.!!

Posts: 8 | Location: Norman, OK | Registered: 11 June 2011Reply With Quote