THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Swift Scirocco II - Tricks to get them to shoot accurately

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swift Scirocco II - Tricks to get them to shoot accurately
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For those that have been down the road of the Scirocco II, what new (or old) tricks did you use to find a load that worked for you?

Thanks

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the most accurate load I found for them was the load I put in the garbage. I never found anything remotely resembling a group worth measuring.

Might you be a Pocatello resident?

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7mmNut,

Thanks for the information. I am from Idaho Falls, but did live in Pocatello while I attended college. Also, my parents and grandparents (now passed) were all from there.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some of us consider Idaho falls north east Idaho especially after driving 2.5 hrs north to get there. lol

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried the Scirocco's in a Sako 300 Winmag, a Vangurad sub-MOA, in 300 Weatherby, Browning 300WSM, a Hart custom in 300Win, and a good old Model 70 30-06.

Only the Hart would shoot well, and it shoot's them great.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

We've tried the Swift Scirocco II's in .257" (100gr.) & .308" (150 & 180 gr.).

We really didn't do anything out of the ordinary as the loads go; but then again; we're pretty picky about the finished product that goes in our rifles - prepped, clean brass & scrubbed bores. We use a Lee Factory Crimp Die for all of the loads.

I had O.K. success with the 100 grainers in the 25-06 Remington outa Blaser R93 Barrel but the 80 & 100 gr. Barnes were simply outstanding so I went with them; I needed a cartridge for a "Lead-Free" zone anyway. In a Blaser R8 .257 Weatherby barrel they shot bug-hole groups from Day 1; we (not my rifle) haven't changed anything there including the initial load of 68.0 grs. of H-4831; superb terminal perfomance, accuracy & I can imagine velocity too, but we haven't put 'em over the Chrony yet.

Out of a Sauer 202 .300 Win Mag (the heavy target barrel) both the 150's & 180's shoot superb and the terminal perfomance matches.

The last was a highly modified Remington 700 action made up into a featherweight 300 RUM w/a 28" #1 pencil-thin barrel. Three shots loaded with a max powder load & 180 grainers is about a my limit with this beast but we managed 3 of the 180 gr. Scirocco II's inside an inch and left well enough alone.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have also had pretty good luck with 90grain 6mm from a 240 Wby ULW and a 700 243. Also 100 grain .257 from the Bee and 130s from 270Bee. Really nothing special done, although they did get hot a lot sooner, like 1.5-2 grains sooner than B-tips or Sierras.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 300winnie:
7mmNut,

Thanks for the information. I am from Idaho Falls, but did live in Pocatello while I attended college. Also, my parents and grandparents (now passed) were all from there.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I loved it in Poky. Haven't picked up my flyrod since moving to Phx....durn shame, but hard to get excited about trout fishing after living in that area.

Good luck with the Scirocco's, it was a miserable failure for me in a few different rifles.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
some of us consider Idaho falls north east Idaho especially after driving 2.5 hrs north to get there. lol

I put down a just shy of B&C Shiras moose a few hundred yards from McCoy Creek about a month before moving to Phoenix. I'm guessing you'd know where that is. If you've been along the forest service road that follows the stream, you most likely are familiar with the forest service cabin up on a hill to the south of the road.

The moose was taken about a mile from there. Forgive my thread drift, but as the heat sets in here in hell, it's also about the time I'd be chasing hungry trout all over southeast Idaho.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Where are the "tricks" the OP asked for?

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I dont know what 'tricks' you are looking for. I used them this past year for deer season. They worked as advertised and I get .75 moa out of them with my 7mm-08

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glen71:
Where are the "tricks" the OP asked for?

No tricks. You can speed them up slow them down, change seating depth, etc. If your barrel doesn't like them then you either accept the accuracy or move on.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
I tried every powder, seating depth, and primer type I could think of and couldn't get any accuracy at all with Scirocco II in 300 WSM.

I quit and went to Barnes TTSX got sub-moa right off the bat!

It would be nice to know of loads or seating depth, distance from lands, etc. that works with this bullet as I sure as hell couldn't find it!!

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I've never seen anything personally that made me want to try them. I've always heard they are inconsistant.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would call your solution the Nosler Accubond.

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNate:
I've never seen anything personally that made me want to try them. I've always heard they are inconsistent.

I think you nailed it. There is nothing that the scirocco will do that the accubond wont, and with more consistent accuracy from load to load. I went through 4 different powders before my rifle would go under MOA. However, one cannot disregard there performance on game. This bullet was recovered with 94% weight retention and opened up to almost .65in in diameter. Even though this recovered bullet was from a finishing shot, it struck like Thor's hammer.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Oh don't get me wrong. I fully appreciate the end result of them, but you can get very similar results with bullets that are a bit easier to get to shoot.
If I'm going to spend that kind of coin it'd be for Woodleighs or Northforks. As hard as they are to get shooting well they should be on par with the Speer Grand Salami or Rem CoreLok.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Swift and ask for Brad and he will fix you up. He is their head Ballistician and could give you your "Tricks" that you ask for.

I have shot the 140gr 7MM from my 280AI with great results.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote