THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lil Gun - who actually manufacturers it?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just read an article in an NZ shooting mag, in which it is stated that Lil Gun is in fact made by Winchester, and repackaged by Hodgdens. It doesn't specify which powder but says it's a Winchester .410 shotgun powder. I guess 296 would fit the bill.

Does anyone know for sure?

Alternatively, has anyone ever done a comparison of Lil gun and 296 in something like a Hornet or Fireball? I guess if the results are similar, then, maybe, there might be some truth to the comment.

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to a guy at Westeren Powders http://www.westernpowders.com/ and he said that Lil'Gun is made by Saint Marks Powder aka SMP. Winchester 296 and H110 are SMP 296. SMP also makes 748 and 231. 231 is the same as HP-38 and I would suspect that Hodgdon repackages 748 as something, maybe BL-C(2). 296/H110 and Lil'Gun are different. Check out the load data and the pressures. http://www.hodgdon.com/data/pistol/index.htm

[ 09-25-2002, 16:50: Message edited by: Sean ]

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best I recall, Saint Marks was originally the Olin (Winchester) facility. Is this correct?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was hoping that Lil Gun would turn out to be a Winchester/Olin powder, as I can get most of them, whereas Lil Gun isn't being imported into Oz. Oh well, just have to work up something...plenty of other choices.

The crossovers between powder manufacturers is interesting. Powders with similar names are normally close, but not exactly the same, and others with disparate names all come from the same container. It would sometimes make things easier it we knew exactly which really is which.

As for the mention of BLC2, I think it is actually sourced from ADI and is called AR2206. Varget is really AR2208, and Benchmark is also ADI Benchmark 2 (there is a faster Benchmark 1).

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
I think using a powder thinking it's something else could be a dangerous proceedure. So I'll recomend to all those beginners out there (and everyone else) NOT to try it. [Eek!]

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also posted this query on the GGVG bbs. One response included this url http://www.hsl.gov.uk/services/issued.htm

Once you weed out the explosives, you end up with a very interesting list of powders and their sources. By the look of it, some 'powder' companies don't make much at all.

And yes, your comment about the possible dangers of misidentifying powder is very appropriate.