New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 PPC loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i posted this on HA but thought i'd try it here to see if i can get some more input.

i was at the range today testing two new 6PPC loads for pressure and velocity. they were: 70 grn matchkings and IMR 4198, and 80 grn hornady SPSSP's and benchmark powder. with 24.5 grns of 4198 i got about 3100 fps out of the 70 grn bullets and with 25.5 grn of benchmark i got about 2800 out of the 80 grn bullets. any hotter with either load and the primers began to flatten, just barely, but i don't want to push the pressure issue. the rifle has a 21 inch barrel. i would like to compare these results with anyone else's who is loading for a PPC. especially with 80 grn bullets, because there is not a lot of data around for 80 grn bullets in a 6 PPC. thanks...bud

since i posted this i have been thinking(always risky [Big Grin] ) and i think that maybe a slower powder would better for the 80 grn bullets. i have varget and win 748 on hand. please let me hear any thoughts and/or ideas. thanks...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not really what you'r asking ,but heres a site with some homebrewed loads.
Jeff
http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=25

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not being a smart-alec here, but why would you want to shoot 80gr bullets from a 6PPC? The case is to small for that heavy of a bullet.

Posts: 97 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ohlsen...good question. i know that the most common use for a 6 PPC is with bullets of 70 grns or less. however, if i can get an 80 grn bullet going a little faster(this is a hornady spssp, designed not to go faster than 3100 fps(i think that's the right number)) i would like to try them on our small texas deer. before anyone cries "inhumane", this would only be close range(<100 yrds) carefully picked shots. also, sometimes i just need something different to keep me busy [Big Grin] [Big Grin] . thanks for the input...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Think of this as a 6x47 project, and 85 grain Nosler Partitions...

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
If you can find some 75 gr. Barnes X's somewhere, they will do very well for what you need. I still have a few 62 gr. GS customs that are awesome in my PPC over Tac. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks to all for the replies. i'm going to try the 80 grn bullets with varget and see what happens and then maybe look for some X bullets. cheers...bud