New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate Arms 2230C with Sierra 60 Bullet
 Login/Join

<El Viejo>
posted
Does anyone have load information for Sierra 60gr .224 using AA 2230C powder? I can't seem to find any online.
thanks

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
It would help if you told us the cartridge caliber...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<El Viejo>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
It would help if you told us the cartridge caliber...

Of course, I guess that would help. Sorry about that!

I am loading 5.56mm in Lake City brass with Win. small rifle primer.

I went to the range today to test some of the loads. I had found one site that suggested that the maximum load for 2230C powder with a 60gr bullet would be 25.0 grains and would deliver 2950fps.

At 24.9 grains, I was only getting 2740fps. The day was in the low 90s, which I have heard can create more pressure and faster loads.

I checked the AA powder book,the one you get when you buy their powder, but it doesn't even list a load for the bullet or the powder. It does list 2230, but I understand that 2230C is a little slower.

I am shooting a Rock River M4 carbine. I wonder how much velocity I am losing by having a 16" barrell and not a 20" barrel. Also, the Chrony was set up about 12 feet in front of the muzzle.

One other thing. I hand weighed each charge on a digital scale to the exact charge weight. I am using the same run of brass and bullets which weigh exactly 60gr. I would get a good close velocity string, with a spread of 10-15 fps, and then one would come out with a 100-140fps spread.
The only thing I can think of is that the primers are causing the varation. I would greatly appreciate any insight you would care to give me.
Thanks.
EV

one of us
posted Hide Post
2230C is a surplus powder and can demonstrate wide variations in burn rates vs most standard grade powders, this is one area where starting and working up is absolutely neccessary. I think that stubby barrel is the culprit for your low velocities.

Posts: 1531 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote