THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Shortcuts making two bullets shut same point on impact?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shortcuts making two bullets shut same point on impact?
 Login/Join

<Mads>
posted
I'm going to load some 416 rigbys
I'll use 400 grains A-frames and 400 grains Hornady solids. Can I make any shortcuts to make them shot at same ponit at lets say 70 yards or so?

I'll like to crimp in the canalure, because the recoil other ways has show that the bullet will be set back in the brass. So playing with setting depht isn't possible.

Regards

Mads

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Mads,

Thanks for posting this question. I've been wondering how to go about this as well. I want to work up some solids and soft point loads in my 375.

I'm sure that many of you have lots of experience with this. I also crimp, BTW.

Any pointers?

-Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve (edited 02-09-2002).]

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
There is no shortcut...

You load one of them to shoot the way you want it to shoot, and then you load the other so that it will have the same POI.

Trial and error...

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I usually try a load progression (2 grain steps on my 416) on each bullet. If the bullets are the same weight I try the same powder first.

I shoot all loads at the range of interest without re-zeroing and look for the closest match.

I look for good velocity on the softs and willingly take up to 150 fps slower on the solids. Since I'd expect to shoot the solid at 100 yards or closer, I then adjust my sights for the desired trajectory on the softs.

If I can't get what I want I first try a different primer (my hunting primer choices are WLR, WMLR, Fed210, Fed215), then try different powders. Be careful changing primers, they can yield higher pressures very quickly.

I have also seen people put a pressure point in the forearm and adjust the uppward pressure on the barrel to get different behaviors. This seems to make the rifle less sensitive to load(and bullet) variations, but may slightly increase group sizes.

It's fun trying to figure it all out, because the behavior you get does not always match your expectations!

Every rifle (and every barrel) is different!

Good luck,
Don

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can work at it for a while but sometimes it can't be done. On a scoped rifle you can write down the number of clicks it takes to get what you want but it needs to be a good scope.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you will find that most solids will shoot close to your "softs" if you drop down a few grains in powder..you might lose a few feet per second of velocity but not much. In my .375 I found the groups would superimpose with the 300gr Nosler at 2550 fps and the solids just a bit under 2500 fps.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure it's possible. I have been able to get different weight bullets to shoot to the same POI is some rifles, but in others I can't even get the same weight bullet form different manuf. (Nosler vs. Sierra, etc)to shoot to exactly POI. Good luck!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I tinkered with this idea 20 years ago with my 45-70 bolt gun. I was shooting 400 grain Speers for hunting and 400 grain cast bullets for practice.
I sighted the rifle in for the jacketed bullets using IMR 3031 the adjusted my load of IMR 4064 with the cast bullet. I got within .5 to 1.5 inch of the same point of impact. This was with a reciever site at 100 yards. I have no idea why I choose these two powders other then Ken Waters recommended the IMR 3031 in triple issue article on the 45-70. And some other author recommended using IMR 4064 for cast bullets in the 45-70.
I'm guessing that my results were the result of a lucky coincidence.
Didn't take me long to come to the conclusion that anything I would hunt would not know the difference between the jacketed and the cast, so I stopped shooting the jacketed stuff.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My .458 shoots just about any load and bullet weight within an 1" at 100yds.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's all about velocity and BC, you could theoretically get 2 different bullets to hit the same point at 200yards (or whatever) but impact before or after that point would be different.
So lets take a 308 caliber rifle, sighted for zero at 10 yards (this is hypothetical mind you). We will use 2 Sierra MatchKings, one weighing at 150grns with a BC of .397 the other at 200grns with a BC of .560.
If I fire the 150grn bullet at 2747fps, the second zero on the bullets descent will be exactly 500yards. Since the 200grn bullet has a higher BC, if we lower the velocity to 2600 it too will have a second zero at 500 yards. So it can be done, but it's not very practical.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Making a 400 gr. soft and solid shoot together is not a problem in any decent rifle...I normally use 1 gr. less powder with the solid and that works 95% of the time....

Getting a 400 and a 500 gr. to shoot together is usually pretty easy with a good barrel..the 400 will usually shoot a bit higher than a 500, so sight the 500 in for 100 and the 400 will normally be from 1 to 3" higher, and thats OK...

I never run into all these problems with my guns, that may be because I use premium barrels and parts and make my own stocks, I dunno...

If I get hold of gun that is the least "finicky", I dump it in a hurry at a gunshow or trade it off...Even if it shoots accrurately with some loads...

Presently all my hunting rifles shoot about everything to the same POI, including my double rifle and I intend to hold that standard and keep it that way..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41926 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vertical spread can be adjusted by velocity. Lateral spread is normaly very difficult to change allthough a different powder can sometimes have an effect.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote