Find
Notify
Tools

tumbler fills the flash hole
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
Depriming knocks out the kernels of corncob that are embedding in the flash hole, but I sure get tired of it. Would be nice to be able to lube the case, deprime/resize, then tumble then and clean out the primer pockets. But when I do that, I have to take the time to poke out the tumbler media stuck in the flash holes. FrownerTedious !

Anyone else frustrated by this?

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H T:
....deprime/resize, then tumble....

It's much better to tumble BEFORE resizing...

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
oh well, you can't have the best of both worlds. i have been poking out little pcs. in my flash holes for 25+ years no big deal..and only about half have something it them..

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
quote:
Originally posted by H T:
....deprime/resize, then tumble....

It's much better to tumble BEFORE resizing...

What then re-lube re-size and re-tumble to clean the lube off????/?

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes i just did the same thing darn it. was just giveing them a quickie to get the lube off and stuff. im glad they are just a few of a 1000 223s im loading up for plinking at the range because i primed about 50 befor i noticed that some had the grit in the hole.

Posts: 167 | Location: northeast NY | Registered: 04 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use one of the oversize decapping dies from Lee, Redding, etc. or move your decapping stem into your seating die to decap dirty brass (you don't want the die walls contacting dirty brass).

Then was your brass with hot tap water and dishwashing detergint (I use Cascade) for about 30 minutes. Rinse with clean water and either air dry or dry in oven at 170 degree F for about an hour. Brass will not anneal at temperatures under 200 F.

I use a RCBS Sidewinder but there are other water tight tumblers or rock tumblers.

Once you try this method you will never use walnut hulls, corn hulls, etc ever again. No hull dust to get into sizing die.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vines:
oh well, you can't have the best of both worlds. i have been poking out little pcs. in my flash holes for 25+ years no big deal..and only about half have something it them..

I agree with you completely! Since I am old, I have been doing the same thing for 45 years.

Posts: 58 | Location: Chile | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone else frustrated by this?

Yeah. Life's hard, ain't it? Wink I tumble first.
---------------------------

What then re-lube re-size and re-tumble to clean the lube off????/?

Not sure why one would want to re-lube and re-ssize after tumbling, lubing and sizing once. ??

Use a good soft wax case lube, Imperial/Unique, or a water solable type like Lee/RCBS and wipe it off with a dry (for wax) or dampened cloth.

Or, drop the completed rounds back in the tumbler for 5 minutes to remove the lube. There won't be much of it left after all that handling.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try using a different media that won't plug flash holes and LAST and LAST .

http://www.mikro1.com/supplies...rZjZ4CFRESawod-GY4ow

archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually tumble three times, once to get all surface grit off, lube size and decap, tumble again to get the lube off. trim, chamfer and clean the primer pocket. Tumble the third time with clean media for a nice shiny brass case.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tumbling media stuck in primer pocket and flash hole greatly improved when I changed (from corn cob) to walnut tumbling media. No, the problem did not disapper completely, so I still have check cases after I tumble to remove lube. But now I only have to remove media from every 10th or 20th case..

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Far fewer clogged flash holes with crushed pecan shell media. It's better than walnut.

quote:
Not sure why one would want to re-lube and re-ssize after tumbling, lubing and sizing once. ??

Use a good soft wax case lube, Imperial/Unique, or a water solable type like Lee/RCBS and wipe it off with a dry (for wax) or dampened cloth.

More tedious than clearing flash holes. Far simpler to just use a lubricant with a known solvent, and the friendliest and cheapest solvent to use is water. I don't bother with case lubes that aren't water soluble. Washing it off insures that all of it is removed (important for reducing bolt thrust), and since your media doesn't get contaminated with lube, it lasts longer.
-------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
SmilerThanks, Nitro - great advice about the pecan shells, or the walnut shells for that matter.
I'd rather just tumble them once, and if the case is relatively clean, I'll do it after resizing to help with the primer pockets as well.

Agree on the two shooter rifles, by the way. Mine is a 470 Chapuis - and yes I'm emotionally attached to the thing.

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote