THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: Regular Hornady Spire PT's vs the newer SST's ?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Regular Hornady Spire PT's vs the newer SST's ?
 Login/Join

posted
Mark I have not tried the SSTs at all but have shot lots of Hornady BTSPs at game and exactly 4 NBTs.I have had one failure of a NBT on a deer (this past Saturday as a matter of fact)but I have never recovered a Hornady bullet from a deer.The NBT bullets give me great groups out of every rifle I've tried them in but a bullet failure and a possible lost crippled animal is not something I can live with.Even a 25% failure rate on game is too high in my opinion.Will I still shoot NBTs?Sure at paper no problem,but on big game never again.
You might wanna try the Hornady Boattail Spire point for it's higher BC,but like dad always said:If it ain't broke,don't fix it.
Howard
P.S.I did find the deer I shot last weekend,it was a two hundred yard tracking job through a creekbottom thicket in the dark though.

Posts: 57 | Location: Parker Texas | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Maybe I just need to keep right on shooting my old standby

Yup.....if it ain't broke.....don't fix it.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The interlocks are a very good bullet for deer. On broadside shots i've always gotten pass throughs with 150s in my 30/06. I've recently switched to 165s because i found them to be much more accurate in my gun. I've only recovered one 150 and it was a quartering towards shot that went through neck and bounced off far shoulder and went into the guts.

Greg

Posts: 117 | Location: Wisconsin , USA | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys for the responses.

If the SST's truely duplicate the Nosler BT's then I think I'll pass. I have tried BT's in the past and they seemed to be overly destructive to me. At least at the ranges I generally take deer.

Sounds like the SST's aren't really an upgrade for the application I am using. I know the new Interbonds are said to be quite tough giving pass throughs from most any angle on deer.

Would they be a better choice for me compared to the Spire Points?
Are they worth the double cost figure compared to the Spire Points?

Maybe I just need to keep right on shooting my old standby.

Later,
Mark in GA

Posts: 552 | Location: Coastal Georgia | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote