Find
Notify
Tools

7mm rem mag loads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
I already have a decent load for my Rem 700 FS with the 162 gr Hornady. I used Fed 215br caps and
72.5 gr of H1000. It yields just over 3000 fps and shoots great. Have any of you used this bullet on
game? Anyway looking for a little diversity. What are your favorite loads and what velocity accuracy are
you getting? Thanx

------------------
"Hope for the best.....Expect the worst!"

[This message has been edited by POP (edited 05-11-2002).]

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
POP,
Just bought a 7mm Rem. Mag. in 700 ADL Syn. Began loading 120gr. Nosler Bal. Tips for local pests. 70.0grns. I-4350 produces 3500fps. and 72.0grns. of I-4831 also comes in at 3500fps. This is with WW brass and Fed. 215 primers. Must also note that I moly coat the bullets and the bore has been smoothed by firelapping. Both loads shoot less than MOA. My loads are about max. in my rifle so if you try these, please reduce and work up.
Good Shooting,
db

Posts: 7 | Location: Rio, IL USA | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

This group, which measured somewhere around 0.303-inches for 5-shots at 200-yards.
It was fired using a Ruger 77R in 7mm Remington Magnum with Leupold 12x optics
Case: Remington
Primer: CCI-200
Powder: 64.6 grains of RL-22
Bullet: Sierra 168 grain Hollow Point Boat Tail
Velocity at 15 feet from muzzle is 2,943 fps.

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
At the risk of starting a war Steve...I meant HUNTING bullets :-)

POP

------------------

[This message has been edited by POP (edited 05-11-2002).]

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by POP:
At the risk of starting a war Steve...I meant HUNTING bullets :-)

POP

I do use them to hunt with...they work just fine on antelope, mule deer and white tail deer.

------------------

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Man Steve, you crack me up. I guess we are both "Dain Bramaged" courtesy of the USAF!

------------------

posted Hide Post
Steve,
Nice site. I, being new to the 7mm mag, have noticed however, that much data prefers H-4831 over I-4831. Can you explain this? Also is RL19 and RL22 a better choice for medium and heavy bullets in 7mm?
Good Shooting,
db

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dbhostler:
Steve,
Nice site. I, being new to the 7mm mag, have noticed however, that much data prefers H-4831 over I-4831. Can you explain this? Also is RL19 and RL22 a better choice for medium and heavy bullets in 7mm?
Good Shooting,
db

If you go to http://stevespages.com/284_4.html you will find tons of data on the 7mm Remington Magnum. The powders I selected as "best" for each bullet weight, is what I found that works "best" in my guns.

You may have a totally different experience.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ricciardelli (edited 05-11-2002).]

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by POP:
Man Steve, you crack me up. I guess we are both "Dain Bramaged" courtesy of the USAF!

Can't blame the USAF for this...as soon as I found that gray cells were dying, I got out!

(PS. You really should try some of the HPBT for hunting...honestly...you will not be disappointed...especiall on those nice long antelope shots in WY...)

------------------

<6.5 Guy>
posted
"You really should try some of the HPBT for hunting...honestly...you will not be disappointed...especiall on those nice long antelope shots in WY...)"

And also along those lines, I have had excellent accuracy and terminal results with Hornady A-Max bullets. Hornady even recommends them for "thin skinned game" in their reloading manual.

I have found some of my rifles prefer the Sierras, and some prefer the Hornadys. Both are great bullets for deer and pronghorn.

Don't shoot anything bigger/heavier than that with them, though.

<MWFRANES>
posted
ON A RELATED NOTE.
I am going to begin loading for the 7 Mag with some nickel Winchester brass. Any advice full length vs. Neck?? I am also going to go with a 150 grain Nosler Ballistic tip. Thoughts on loads?

posted Hide Post
MWFRANES,
Just a note on nickel brass, watch out for the nickel flaking off especially in the neck area. I have some RP in nickel that does this. I have also have some Palma and Wby. nickel that is just fine. When I resize brass used in the same gun, bolt action, I usually just neck size. Then after a number of firings when the bolt closes with a little more resistance, I will full length resize. Nosler recommends H-4831 59gr to 63gr for their 150gr Bal. Tip. By the way, what are you shooting at?
Good Shooting,
db

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Nosler recommends H-4831 59gr to 63gr for their 150gr Bal. Tip"

That's more in line with a .270 load!!!!!!

You should be able to use 65grs of H-4831 with a 162 gr, and DO NOT use match bullets to hunt with!!!!!!!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote