New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hot loads in 30-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have a stainless classic with a 24 in barrel. My experience has been that 4350 is too fast for max velocity and accuracy, IMR 4841 was just right, and H 4831 was too slow. My best overall results were with IMR4831, but I have not tried RL22.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again to all who responded. I have been in camp at work all week (62 hours this week), and have not ahad any time to load or shoot. I am planning to do that this weekend, and will post an update on the last two loads I do.

GSP7, Thanks for the load. That was in the loads I tried, but it did not seem to want to group. I usually load three of each powder charge and if one shows promise, I will load 5 of that charge and do another group. Occasionally the first group was a fluke, and the next "confirmation group" was not acceptable, but IMR 4350 seems to only work with the Cor-locts I used to shoot.
Regards to all,
Graham

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from shooting the confirmation groups. The range is about 100 yards, and there was almost no wind to speak of.
180 Nosler Partition
Win Case.
CCI 200 primer
55.5 IMR 4831
5-shot Group size: 1.23 inches center to center

56.5 IMR 4831
5-shot group size: 2.185 center to center
Both groups were done individually, one group at a time, with space between shots as long as it took to eject the spent case and load the next from the magazine. Maybe I should have left more time, but each group was done the same way, so the test results should at least be representative.
Looks like the 55.5 grain load takes the cake. I will probably experiment with primers next. I have some Winchester primers that I'try next.
Thanks to all who expressed interest and input,
Regards,
Graham

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote