New
Find
Notify
Tools

50 bmg cast load
 Login/Join

<ranb>
posted
I am working up a 50 bmg load using a 975 grain GC bullet. Knowing that the 661 grain M33 bullet uses 235 grains of WC860, and the high pressure test uses a 999 grain lead bullet with 240 grains of WC860, how high can I go with this powder and bullet without high pressure testing my LAR each time I shoot it. I am thinking about 190 to 210 grains. I hope to achieve up to 2200 fps. Thanks.

Ranb

<ranb>
posted
I loaded some 975 grain GC bullets from my CBE mold today. Used PD WC 860 and CCI primers.

195 grains 2212 fps
203 grains 2320 fps
213 grains 2407 fps

No signs of over pressure, but I think I will use 195 grains as my max load. I have no idea how accurate these loads are, I only shot them over the chrono.

Ranb

one of us
posted Hide Post
ranb,

I to am a 50 shooter and I must ask why do you want to shoot these heavy cast bullets in the LAR rifle?

It seems that it only defeats the purpose of this fine rifle which was designed to be used at extended range. Also I would imagine that at the velocities you are getting, the 1-16" twist will be a bit slow for bullet stability.

I guess I just don;t really understand what your looking to get out of this experiment. The near 1000 gr slup may penetrate very well but there really is not much need for more penetration then the standard bullets such as the 750gr A-Max and 600 gr X bullet will produce.

I can't imagine that the trajectory would be flat enough for true long range shooting.

If a close range hammer is what you want, open the 50 case up to .700" and blow the case out, will produce much more velocity then the standard 50 BMG, trajectory will suffer but it will drive a 1000 gr bullet to near 2700 fps.

Just curious about you goals for this experiment?

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Sniper06>
posted
There could be more purposes to this fine rifle than we might realize at this point. If the fellow gets real good accuracy, or can use these cast loads as inexpensive practice rounds, then it is justified. Ever heard of the .50 Whisper? It hasn't near the power as the .50 BMG, but nevertheless has it's own purpose. If a guy likes cast bullets, he is apt to try them in almost anything. LOL I am a cast freek myself. He might also want to test these cast loads as a means for a "sporting" load. Hell, if it's lead, I'm apt to do it.

<ranb>
posted
I was interested in exploring how well I could shoot with cast bulets in the bmg. I did find out the above loads left a lot of lead in the barrel. I will stick to using these cast bullets in my 510 whisper for now.

Ranb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago some outfit out of Pittsburg offered bullet moulds intended to be used with with short lengths of copper tubing, The idea was that you cut tubing to length, ran it through a sizing die, cleaned and fluxed the inside, put it in the mould and cast inside it.

Were I shooting something that took really expensive bullets, I would be tempted to have a mould cut to try that idea.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote