Find
Notify
Tools

hottest primer??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
what are the ranking on how hot primers are?? how do the CCI 250 primers compare to other mag primers??

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about the CCI 250, but I do remember reading that the Winchester large rifle magnum primer is the hottest going.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found this years ago at the old Short Mags site. Don't know how accurate it is, but here you go.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
I ran across some pics when I google searched rifle primer images. Someone had taken pics in a darkened room with a time delay camera. The flame thrown by some of the primers was interesting. CCI had some of the shortest flames and Winchester had some of the longest. I don't know how this correlates to igniting a powder column, but I went with the Winchester lg rifle primers.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A picture essay ;

http://www.6mmbr.com/PrimerPix.html

Note the RWS controlled pin point flame is some what similar too Fed 215 primer .

In large capacity or magnum cases with slow burn rate powders these are highly desirable characteristics .

As they tend to fire through the densely packed powder and form a burning column

from with in so to speak , thus making a more complete ignition .

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
It depends on who is doing the testing and the methods used. What I’ve seen is that the Federal 215 is consistently the hottest primer followed by the WLRM and the CCI 250.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best test I can offer is my own experience.
when working up loads for my 7MM STW I was dissapointed in velocity , till I switched over to federal 215s They bumped my speed about 75FPS, and got great acuracy.
In fact whith the 215 Match, I got some of the best groups I have ever seen from a hunting rifle.
I still have a target that I put 3 rounds ito .17 at 100 yards.
The smith that adjuted my trigger was right there when I did it was plenty happy to try and take credit !
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wasnt the Fed 215 made for the wthby line of cartridges originally? It worked the best for me when I used to have a 378 wthby, lots of powder to ignite in that case!

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In tests run some years ago and again recently in a test reported in a series of articles in Precision Shooting, there is some evidence to suggest that the mildest flame that does not throw out "sparks" will result in the most uniform ignition of powder. Federal primers, by far the favorite BR primers, were rated among the mildest. I don't recall if magnum primers were tested.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A slight hijack of the subject. But my dilemma now is I can't find any Federal 210 or 210M primers anywhere. They are the only primers I've used for years and all of my large rifle primer loads are based on them. I was able to find some 205M primers locally.
I've heard that Federal just signed a large Government contract for primers, so it will probably be a long time till we see any more available.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
what are the ranking on how hot primers are??

You don't tell us why you seek hot primers. ??

Hot can help with some powders and cartidges, but they can hurt just as often.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
A slight hijack of the subject. But my dilemma now is I can't find any Federal 210 or 210M primers anywhere. They are the only primers I've used for years and all of my large rifle primer loads are based on them. I was able to find some 205M primers locally.
I've heard that Federal just signed a large Government contract for primers, so it will probably be a long time till we see any more available.

Don

They have been gone for a couple of years now. Midsouth has a few 215's if that helps. Wideners had a buch a few days ago, but they were gone in minuts.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may be the reason . I urge EVERYONE to contact their Congressman and Senators and send a CLEAR AND PRECISE

MESSAGE TO CEASE THIS NONSENSE NOW !. Just remember how the New President Elect LIED and so many bought into it.

Subject: {Disarmed} [BPSF] Ammo Confiscation

Again, this is not my work. It was sent to me by a subscriber. (*Many*
Americans are scared-to-death at what's coming....)

The bill that is being pushed in 18 states (including Illinois and Indiana)
requires all ammunition to be encoded by the manufacturer in a data
base of all ammunition sales. So they will know how much you buy and what
calibers. Nobody can sell any ammunition after June 30, 2009 unless the
ammunition is coded.

Any privately held uncoded ammunition must be destroyed by July 1, 2011.
(Including hand loaded ammo.) They will also charge a .05 cent tax on every
round so every box of ammo you buy will go up at least $2.50 or more!

If they can deprive you of ammo they do not need to take your gun!

This legislation is currently pending in 18 states: Alabama, Arizona,
California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland,
Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island,
South Carolina, Tennessee, and Washington.

To find more about the anti-gun group that is sponsoring this legislation
and the specific legislation for each state, go to:
http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, that just bites!

Posts: 135 | Location: Colorado Mtns. | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experiance I had a number of failure to ignite the powder charge with CCI primers in hot 454 casull loads and certain powders (ie.1680), I switched to Win primers and the problem went away. I still use CCI primers for SP and LP, but prefer Win when I can get them and will not use anything but Win for the 454

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about temp wise who's hottest but the reasoning behind a large pin point flame

for magnum cartridges or Large capacity cases should be self explanatory .

A large densely packed case needs extra fire to burn the powder from the inside of the column

it creates . Thus making a complete Burn of Slow powder so as to develop a necessary pressure curve .

All the while pushing the bullet down the Bore before it exits an burning all the powder .

Some of you may wish to read up on this .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_ballistics