Find
Notify
Tools

reloading and mini-lathes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
I recently purchased a small lathe mostly for the purpose of chambering (and so shall end life as Ive known it) wave , but as I browsed the webb I found guys who use these things almost exclusivly for reloading purposes.

Anyone else here do this?? I think Ill just stick with my Lee tools for trimming, but I will definatly make some use of it for checking runout, especially with my cast loads. Any other possible uses along these lines??

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another use is making/modifying dies.

If you can't have fun when you go out, STAY HOME !

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I got one about six months ago and I'm amazed at how much I use it. It's not exclusive to reloading. For trimming I prefer a Wilson trimmer for both accuracy and speed. Some things just take too long to set up in the lathe. A dedicated tool for a particular operation seems preferable. It's those things for which no good tools exist or are too expensive where it truly shines.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use my lathe for polishing stuff, modifying dies, making expanding buttons, spuds for the case trimmer, screws, volume case chamfering and primer pocket reaming.

I have also made auxilary cartridge holders etc.

One can do quite a few of the things mentioned above with just an electric drill. Just hold the drill below the jaws of a bench vise. It will do most of the chamfering and polishing that a lathe will do.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote