THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester power points and silvertips ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Cansomeone explainthe difference for me? I have been using the 150 power points for deer in my 06 with great results.

However, I shot a deer 50 yrs ago with a 30-30 170 silvertip and it went from brisket to ham .the length of the deer and exited, we got the buck but it took some tracking. Are the silvertips that tough ? even today ?

Next, I do a lot of huting with my .358 and the 200 grn silvertip does just fine on about anything I shoot, Even bear. But I can not find them as a loading component, is there any source for them ?

What are your experiences with these two bullets ?

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not any more.

Winchester still makes them in loaded ammo, but not for reloading.

Try some Hornadys, they will work just as well.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, for one thing, Winchester in their infinite wisdon won't sell Silvertips for handloading any more. They quit doing that a long time ago. If I remember correctly it was sometime in the mid 70s.
The reason you had such great penetration with that 30-30 ST was back then they were making the jackets a bit tougher than before. Seems people were complaining that they opened up too fast, so "Big W" made the bullet tougher. Problem was, they were a bit too tough. They later changed the jackets back to a softer bullet for the 30-30.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote