Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Partner
 Login/Join

posted
I'm wondering if the RCBS Partner press is the right gear to start reloading. Is there any other tool or kit you can recommend? Like to load 7x57 and 44 mag.

Thanks for your input

Martin

A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a
detour.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The partner is fine, but for rifle cartridges it does not have compound leverage.
May I suggest a RCBS JR. They stopped making it but I still have one of their kits in stock with everything you need to get started.
Visit my website.
I have everything you need.

www.cliffsgunsmithing.com

-Spencer

posted Hide Post
I think the Partner Press is too light duty for your main press. It's light weight aluminum, has a lot of flex, and lacks leverage. As it's name implies, it is ok for a partner to your main press, as you can set it up to crimp or expand etc. While I know some use it and get by with it, I would highly recommend not making it your main press. I bought one and wish I'd spent a little more and got a better second press.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The RCBS Partner is a compound leverage light alloy O frame press. The old Jr is an iron single toggle system.
Some feel uncomfortable with light alloy products, but both of these presses work fine for me.
The 7mm will be a piece of cake with either of those presses, the handgun calibers even easier.
If you need to do serious case forming you will prefer a big iron compound press, perhaps with a larger die station.
I've met several people who have only one press, but we are working on a cure.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Partner is great - I've loaded hundreds + of 270 and 223 ammo with mine, using Hornady dies for the 270 and Lee dies for the 223. I get half inch, 5 shot groups with both guns - so much for 'cheap' equipment not being able to deliver!!

I used to own a Rockchucker, which definitely has more leverage, but unless you're going to be doing major case forming or bullet swaging, I can't see the point.

I clamp my Partner to whatever table is handy, and go from there - it's never failed me yet. The response regarding 'too much flex' (it's an 'O' frame) has me intrigued - sounds like too much reading of magazine articles, not enough real life experience! The only 'flex' I see is in the table top! Maybe if you're swaging bullets, I'd agree, but for day to day use for hunting or target shooting, go for it.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote