THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.222 Rem: Best powder for 40 grain bullets??
 Login/Join

<Jordan>
posted
Gentlemen:

If there are any .222 shooters out there who can speak from experience, what is a good powder choice for the .222 Rem and 40 grain bullets? I am interested in velocity first and foremost because I suspect I will get good accuracy in this particular rifle in any event. Any help is appreciated.

Jordan

<Paladin>
posted
Start with the 4198 loads in the bullet maker's data and see where this leads you...

<Michael Swickard>
posted
23.5 grains of H4198SC and a 40 NBT in my Rem 40XBR 222 Rem w/ 20" barrel will get 3750 fps and no pressure signs. My rifle will shoot in the 3's and 4's no problem.

Ciao

Mike

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
RL-7 From 19.5 grains to 23.5 grains - Remington 7-1/2 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Crow>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Swickard:
222 Rem w/ 20" barrel will get 3750 fps and no pressure signs. My rifle will shoot in the 3's and 4's no problem.

Wow, that is smoking. I can only get 3720 with a 26" barrel and a case full of 2015. Are you sure of those velocities?

Rich

<Michael Swickard>
posted
Crow,

Those velocities are correct. I worked a load up to 24 grains originally but bolt lift got harder and the cases started to show some signs of pressure. Those loads went across a Oheler Chrono at 3820 fps.

Using the 40 gr NBT I tried h322, AA2015, n133 which all gave great accuracy, but if you want speed and a compromise use H4198SC.

The load I use is around 2 grains over book. However, there are no pressure signs. Bolt opens like there is not a round in it. Primers are not even cratered. The one thing you should know is that the chamber in this duece is a BR chamber. Min spec'd. It has a 0.250" neck that does not require neck turning.

Anyhow 23.5 grains comes up about 1/2 way up the neck. For me this is the load for this duece.

Ciao

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with H322. I worked up to 26gr and load with a 6" drop tube. This gives me 3650fps out of 22" barrel with no signs of pressure. This is over the book values by 2-3gr. but is safe in my gun. What ever you choose do work up slowly.

------------------
Growler

Posts: 95 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
Several powders may give you great accuracy with the fantastic 222 cartridge. My 222 likes IMR 4895 24.0 grs. with the 45 gr. MEF Berger bullet. 21 grs. H-322, 22.o grs, Benchmark. BLC#2, IMR 4198 also shoot well in the 222. The 222 is one of the very best varmint cartidges ever developed. I have been shooting that cartridges since 1966 and still shoot it today, it is my favorite.

<BigBob>
posted
Accuracy will not always follow velocities. It is a rare event when the highest velocities are the most accurate. H-4198, Winchester cases, and CCI #BR-4 have always been the best combinations for me, Until Hodgdon very recently brought out a new powder called BENCHMARK. In my Rem. M-700 BDL it improved both velocity and accuracy. You may want to check it out.

------------------
BigBob

[This message has been edited by BigBob (edited 11-26-2001).]