New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 caliber funnel problem!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Reloading the 222 Rem and 22-250 and find the RCBS green funnel does not fit effectively over the mouth of the case when pouring in the powder. Either too tight or too loose and powder spills either due to taking off the funnel or too loose if I try to make it fit correctly.

What type funnel do you use or what adjustment do you make to keep powder in the case?

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS makes a smaller funnel for the 17,204 and 22.
I forget the number but it is on their web site.
I had the same problem.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An RCBS 17 cal will work, also the Lee 22-45 cal that I have works fine.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just knew I was not a virgin! Thanks as usual for the info. I guess I will try to get one for free from RCBS for advertising the one I am using as 22-50 caliber. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Zoboomafoo_dude
posted Hide Post
I would also recommend looking at the Satern aluminum funnels. They make caliber specific funnels that are awesome. Or you can buy the 22-30cal model.

Posts: 93 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS will probably replace your funnel or send you the smaller one. One of the best investments i have made is one made my Satern. You can buy them specific for a certain caliber or they make a universal funnel as well. These fit perfectly on the case and there is absolutely no static!

Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.a...ducts/Powder-Funnels

Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muygrande:
Reloading the 222 Rem and 22-250 and find the RCBS green funnel does not fit effectively over the mouth of the case when pouring in the powder. Either too tight or too loose and powder spills either due to taking off the funnel or too loose if I try to make it fit correctly.

What type funnel do you use or what adjustment
do you make to keep powder in the case?

This is why I always keep two or three funnels of different designs at my reloading bench. I have even made my own funnels: Made one out of a plastic mustard container that had the cone type end--opened up the end of the cone where the mustard came out (just large enough for powder to flow through) and cut the bottom off the bottle.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate all the suggestions. That aluminum satern must be like gold! Do those of you who use individual funnels/caliber find it worth the money? Obvioulsy would be in the case of the 22. I had a .17 RCBS and made it work but will still get the "perfect fit" for the 22's as suggested as it is important to wring the best out of the smaller case as well as keep the powder from running all over the house.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I just looked in the Midway catalog and they show the Satern aluminum funnels for $11.29 for most calibers and $18.49 for the big stuff over .375 caliber.

On the same page they show the Franford Arsenal Powder Funnel with 16 Nozzles. This plastic arrangement has 16 quick-change nozzles and a 4 inch drop tube. It all comes in a neat case.
This gadget only lists for $18.99 and will work for just about anything. I have loaded everything from the .223 WSSM to the .416 Rigby with this arrangement and it just plain works.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not sure if you have a powder thrower. but if you have an rcbs powder thrower witht the large and small little nozels you can pull the nozzle on it and slip it into the funner. works well for me. i only had a large size funnel and ran into the same problem with 223. slipped the powder thrower nozzle in and it works great.

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zoboomafoo_dude
posted Hide Post
I have the multi caliber satern funnel, which works well across the board, but if you are doing high volume reloading I would recommend the specific funnel for smaller calibers.

Posts: 93 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote