New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use H870 with the Ultra Mags
 Login/Join

<bigcountry>
posted
I am thinking about trying it with my 300Ultra Mag. I know alot of people tell me to try this or that, but I like don't like to order poweder and pay the fees and like it to be readily accessable when I decide. I have been using Re22, H1000 and IMR7828 but H870 seems like the powder to use in this gun. Good velocity with low pressures. Only reason I have stuck with H1000 so much, is they claim it is an "Extreme powder" which probably don't amount to much.

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
My only experience with h870 was bad. It was a fresh can and It did about 200-300 fps slower than it should have and was very very dirty. I e mailed hodgdon and they never replied. I poured the last half of it in my driveway and lit it with a match!!

<Guy>
posted
We tried H870 in my son's 300 RUM with 180 Sierra SPBT's. Accuracy for five groups was 3.5" to 4.25"@100 yds and velocity averaged below 3000 fps. We also tried 200 Noslers with both IMR-7828 and RL25. Both powders yielded 1" groups and velocities over 3100 fps.

Just some food for thought.

<bigcountry>
posted
Well, that blows that idea all to hell. Guess I will have to wait until Retumbo comes out to try something new.

<txhunter>
posted
I've never used H870 but have used WC872 which is as close as you can get to it. Also a ball powder, but just a tad slower. It has preformed very good in my 270-300 RUM. Accuracy and elocity were fairly high but a different lot could have made it a little faster or slower. Most people talk of ball powders being very dirty but you really don't have to wory about it until you clean. Cleaning at your regular intervals it will take very little effort beyond what you usualy do to clean the barrel. A couple of wet patches then a few strokes with the brush followed by another wet patch, usualy gets most all the powder fouling out of my barrel.

<eldeguello>
posted
H870 should be about the right speed for high-density loads in the Ultra-Mags (very slow). I tried it once in the 7mm Rem Mag., but the accuracy was less than stellar, so I quit using it in that round. It might be better in the Ultras!!

<Chainsaw>
posted
Big Country, I have loaded WC 872 the military equivalent of H870 in 7mm Remington Magnum and 7mmSTW with good results. Near top velocity of published data. I used H870 data for it. $32 for 8lb. is a bargain with a case that holds that much powder. It did perform better in the 7mmSTW with Federal 215 primers. I mainly use CCI 250's.

I think it would be worth a try.

------------------
Fight As Free Men and Free Men You Are "Aye. Fight and you may die. Run,
and you may live. But then, dying in your bed, many years from now, would you be
willing to trade all the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just
ONE CHANCE, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our
lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM?!" --William Wallace

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried it and found it left a great deal of fouling and accuracy was not good in my rifle.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stubblejumper:
I tried it and found it left a great deal of fouling and accuracy was not good in my rifle.

try aa8700 i use it alot in the ultras as well as stw.

<RobertJ>
posted
Bigcountry
My experience with H870 has been similar to the above posters. The best powder that I have tried with the heavy bullets has been RL25 for accuracy and velocity. H-1000 has worked the best for me with the lighter bullets. Search the archives and you will see that many have had success with RL25.
Good Luck

<bigcountry>
posted
AA8700 sounds interesting. Never used there powder but might try it out. Thanks guys for all the inputs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigcountry:
I am thinking about trying it with my 300Ultra Mag. I know alot of people tell me to try this or that, but I like don't like to order poweder and pay the fees and like it to be readily accessable when I decide. I have been using Re22, H1000 and IMR7828 but H870 seems like the powder to use in this gun. Good velocity with low pressures. Only reason I have stuck with H1000 so much, is they claim it is an "Extreme powder" which probably don't amount to much.

I've used 870 in my .264 win mag and it was the most accurate of six powders I tested (7828 was right there with it). The velocity was about 100 fps slower than the 7828. I'm going again this weekend and try it with a little more powder since I wasn't at the maximum. It was just too accurate to pass up trying again.

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote