New
Find
Notify
Tools

165gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claws in 30-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What oppinions have you on using the 165gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claws on deer size game in a 30-06.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using various 165s in the '06 for over 20 years, and am happy with the results. As a general rule, they're a better bullet than any of the 150s and don't cause the damage the lighter ones do. I have been a big fan of Nosler's BT, and before that the solid base, but the TBBC you are considering is among the best of the lot. Also, the 165s (and definately the 180s) are the best choices hands down in 30-06.
I know 150s can easily be driven over 3000fps in the '06, but haven't tried to drive the 165s as hard because I have been satisfied with the results since I first tried them on a hunch. I wouldn't be afraid to take on anything with the 165s if you place your shots carefully.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost:
What oppinions have you on using the 165gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claws on deer size game in a 30-06. Phil

My opinion is that it will perform well, and also that such a premium bullet is NOT needed for deer-size game!! A cheapie Sierra is all you need for a deer. But that Bear Claw should do a good job for you on elk or moose!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know it seems like an over kill :grin:. But if I'm going to get any deer hunting done this year. Its going to have to be with either the 30-06 or my Marlin 450 MR lever gun. Still haven't recovered from everything I had to sell a few years ago. Anyway, I found some new loaded Federal Vital-Shocks with 165gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claws for $22.73 per box of 20 that's cheaper than the cost of the component bullets. And cheaper than I'm curently paying for factory 450 Marlins. They also have compairable prices on their 180's, 200's and the HE. Thought about going back and getting some of the 165gr. HE's for $26 something a box.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have used the 165 Trophy Bonded Bearclaw in the 308 on several deer and wild pigs. It works great. We have also shot coyotes and bobcats with it. It does not blood shot the meat badly nor blow big holes in the hide.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have used the 165 grain TBBC in .308 Win. on mule deer with great effect. Needless to say, it should be just as good in the '06.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13483 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote