Find
Notify
Tools

|RCBS 1500 combo: is it a lemon?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of emron
posted
I have had 3 chargemasters; each died within 2-3 years. In each case, it was a keypad malfunction.
RCBS was fantastic about the first replacement; free replacement with new chrgemaster. Now, they are charging me 45 bucks apiece for my two ailing chargemasters. Still better than buying a new one, and both are out of the one year warranty; I have no complaints.

But I still wonder: is it acceptable to have these devices break within 2-3 years? three times?
I was reading somewhere that the RCBS devices, if plugged in, remain "on" eeven if no power button is pressed, and all lights are off. Presumably so you can turn it on and start measuring within 5 minutes. I am leaving them plugged in. Is that the problem?

I know friends who have had a Lymans for > 5 years with no probs. But they say they may have to wait 30 min before its ready to measure. I can start measuring within 5 min. (when its working)
Any ideas?\I called RCBS. They didnt know if the device was on when plugged in but turned to OFF. at least the two ladies I talked to didnt.

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear your misfortune

Mine is >5 years and still perfect (I'm knocking on wood right now)

From reading dozens of threads about digital powder throwers/measurers, I would say you are definitely in the minority

BTW, I leave mine plugged in and turned off and on a surge strip

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Don't know the odds (bad luck) of getting 3 lemons Confused but I have one >5 years also and no issues to date, like woods I'm also knocking on wood.

FWIW, I leave mine off AND unplugged when not in use.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I've had my Chargemaster for 5 plus years and have had good luck with it. It's never been left plugged in and it takes just a few minutes to get it calibrated and ready. That said, I've loaded only 4 or 5 hundred rounds with it with my lowest charge being for an '06 (~57 grains) and the largest charge for the 338-378 Wby (~120 grains). Many would say that's a fairly small sampling and I wouldn't argue but wanted to make sure that it's understood this machine hasn't had a hard "life".

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I bought my first chargemaster right when they came out. Immediately died, RCBS said it was a known problem on the first units out. They send me out a new one about a month later when they came available. That one has been flawless since. I’m sure I have run a couple hundred pounds of powder through it.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is 4 yrs old now and over 4000 rds measured and no issues yet.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EMRON, I've had the same experience(s) but have not been asked for the $45 as yet.

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, my experience parallels yours. I'm on my 5th Chargemaster due to key pad troubles in the first four.

In one case only the middle row of buttons died, so I could get close to some charge weights, but not exactly. RCBS customer service has been good. The last two cost me $45 each, and the newest one is ticking away at this time.

They do seem sensitive to static, so I've begun rubbing a used dryer sheet on the plastic parts. The last RCBS customer service guy told me to remove the door, as it contributed to static build up.

Posts: 154 | Location: West of the Mississippi, East of California | Registered: 23 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I bought two Chargemasters a few years ago. Recently one malfunctioned....the top row of keys on the keypad quit working. I also had to pay $45 but I received a brand new unit instead of RCBS repairing my old unit. I'm not happy about the unit failing so quickly but the replacement price seemed more than fair to me.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've got one that is two years old and the middle, verticle, row of buttons have failed. Called RCBS and was told of the $45 fee. Will just have to bite the bullet and get it fixed.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Purely personal opinion:

I'd bet the things only cost RCBS $45 to start with so you're paying for what you get while they struggle along on the profit from the original purchase.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote