New
Find
Notify
Tools

re sizing problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have ran into a problem i have just started reloading for my 22-250 and my resized brass will not let my bolt close. The dies are rcbs and i have never had a problem befor. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 135 | Location: sw kansas | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
You probably need to push your shoulder back a little further. Set your gun up in a vise and adjust your die in a very little at a time until the "crush fit" alleviates. Don't push the shoulder back any more than necessary.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem when I started reloading.My solution was to grind the shell holder down a few thosands to push the shell in the die a little bit further pushing the shoulder back.

Posts: 55 | Location: ky | Registered: 08 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both answers are 100% correct...try what Woods says...if you can't get the shoulder back by turning the die down without alot of camming over....then shave the shellholder.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by willimon1:
I have ran into a problem i have just started reloading for my 22-250 and my resized brass will not let my bolt close.

Two questions: Was the brass fired in your rifle? When you say "resized brass will not chamber" are you trying to chamber the empty case or a reloaded round?

If brass was fired in your rifle, it should re-chamber with very little to no resistance, even before resized. If fired in another rifle, you probably need to size a bit more by screwing sizing die down a bit as stated by woods above.

Try an empty case and see if it will chamber. If it does, but the loaded round will not, you probably have the seating die set wrong. If you are trying to crimp the bullet before it is fully seated, you will push the shoulder down, causing a wrinkle right at the shoulder which will prevent chambering.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Often you can retract the sized case from the die slighty ... just enough to rotate it and size it again....

Lack of lube on the expander can pull the shoulder forward too causing interference.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. Are you Full Length sizing or Neck sizing?

2. Was this brass fired from the same rifle?

3. How many times has this brass been reloaded?

4. Does the brass chamber after sizing without a bullet?

5. Are you lubing the inside of the neck so the expander doesn't pull the shoulder forward?

6. If it is an FL die, how did you set it up?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The brass is once fired. It is not loaded just empty brass that i have resized. Some of it was shot out of my dads rifle and my rifle. I am using hornady one shot case lube and i hit the inside of the necks with the lube.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by willimon1:
The brass is once fired. It is not loaded just empty brass that i have resized. Some of it was shot out of my dads rifle and my rifle. I am using hornady one shot case lube and i hit the inside of the necks with the lube.

Fl sizing or neck sizing?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fl