New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5*55 Ackley Improved
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can any one tell the go with it or that it even exists, how I can get one done etc. CHEERS

Posts: 30 | Location: close | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5x55 AI does exist. Athough I've never seen one. Most I've heard of has been to open it up to a 6.5x57 or even a 6.5/257 Rob. which would be the same thing, a 7x57 necked to 6.5.

Who can do it? Any competant smith could handle the job. If he has the reamer the cost should be less than $100. Then you'll have to buy some dies. Expect dies will be about $60.

Ray

Posts: 85 | Location: Tex | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray, I thought I wasn't going to get a reply there for a while. CHEERS

Posts: 30 | Location: close | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS,
A friend of mine in NSW had a 6.5X55 IMP done. The gunsmith used a, I think, 243 ackley imp reamer with a 6.5 pilot, and ran it in to the proper length. I expected a "ring" where the new reamer met the old chamber, but it looked good. Dies are apt to be more then $60, so you's better look into that. Does Simplex make custom dies? Send me an e-mail if you are interested and I'll put you in touch with my friend, he can tell you the name of the gunsmith. One more thing, a set of used 6.5 Rem mag dies would neck size the cases, usually found for $15 here.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5x55 is near perfect as it is and cannot be improved! [Wink]
Quite honestly, every load I have used with 142s and 4831 still has a surplus of cartridge capacity so I see little point in increasing capacity. I do think the throat should be configured differently than standard though.
One of the Alberta shooters has recently got a 6.5x55 Improved built by Dave Tooley but I haven't seen it shoot yet or heard what kind of velocities he gets.
I am shooting the 142 at about 2800 fps with 4831sc and can exceed 2900 with N165 powder but with poorer accuracy. This from a standard 6.5x55 with 26" barrel. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote