Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for "safe loads"
 Login/Join

posted
I am in the process of developing a neutralization protocol for escaped dangerous or large game at various zoos.

The animals in question are as follows:

Lions
Tigers
Bears (oh my)
Gorillas
Elephants
Rhinos
Cape Buffalos

Essentially I have to balance stopping power against public safety and the risk of over penetration.
If anyone has any suggestions as to rifle/caliber/load selection it would assist in my pursuit. I�m particularly interested in proven game stopping loads that will not run the risk of exiting the animal and presenting a public hazard.

I understand that different guns/loads/calibers are or may be required for the different game in question. Typical distances would be no more than 50 yards

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
12ga 2 3/4 or 3" 1oz slug at 50yds dont miss

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're probably going to get some interesting replies on this one.

For the large carnivores, you might consider a 45-70 in lever action. The Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun was developed as bear protection... big honkin' bullet, not very aerodynamic, and not very fast, but extremely lethal at moderate range. The large, round nosed bullet crushes and destroys a lot of tissue.

I have no clue as to what would be the least urban incompatible round for rhinos and elephants. There has been some research done that indicates that the premium bullets actually penetrate less than the inexpensive ones, which is good. Start looking among calibers that start with "4".

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh my you need a big gun,,,,Your highest priority should be the training of the person using the gun. Any caliber or round could be safly used in the correct hands. You want something that will drop the animal quickly in one shot, overpenitration should not be a safty issue if the shooter does his/her job.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm having trouble conceptualizing this one, but will assume for the sake of discussion that the various zoos etc. are not going to mind their very expensive critters getting waxed on Main Street, nor the various LEF agencies either.

For the cats and lessor creatures, a large bore shotgun loaded with #1-3 buckshot. For the big stuff, a very thorough understanding of their anatomy and a 7x57 Mauser with heavy RN bullets, preferably FMJ' or solid construction. Brain shots are the order of the day for this order of battle. If it worked for Bell it should work for you.

My first thought is a tranq. gun, but you do what you gotta do.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I am in the process of developing a neutralization protocol for escaped dangerous or large game at various zoos. ... I'm particularly interested in proven game stopping loads that will not run the risk of exiting the animal and presenting a public hazard. ... I understand that different guns/loads/calibers are or may be required for the different game in question. Typical distances would be no more than 50 yards

First off let me say I'm very skeptical about the legitimacy of this post. If you are in fact a Vet, what I'm about to post should be common knowledge to you. So, I'll just do it for the "real" folks who tried to help.

Once upon a time(always a good story starter), there was a Southern state that allowed hunting with a Bow carrying a small amount of a very lethal drug in a very small sack directly behind the Arrow Head. As the arrow entered, the tiny pod would tear and a minute amount of this drug would transfer into the Circulation System. In no time at all the diaphram stopped and since that turns the breathing to the "OFF" position, death followed quickly.

Most folks saw through the danger of having such a drug in the hands of anyone outside specific groups trained to specifically handle it. So, few people used it.

The law was changed when a wife was(supposedly) dusting, nicked herself on an arrow, somehow bumped the pod and got enough in the cut to turn her "OFF".

So, the correct answer to this apparently bogus question is a Crossbow using this drug. It can be used on every animal mentioned and even a Zoo Vet could use it accurately at 50yds with little training. Of course, it would be an excellent idea to have a real Vet who knows about "drugs" and has the credentials to obtain them in the loop.

Yes, I do know the name of the drug and there are probably a WHOLE LOT MORE drugs similar to it that I don't know the name of. And no, I won't mention the name of it.

I'll vote for this being a "Bogus Post" and someone who has no business at all with the title "Doctor" or "Vet" associated with his name.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I am in the process of developing a neutralization protocol for escaped dangerous or large game at various zoos.

The animals in question are as follows:

Lions
Tigers
Bears (oh my)
Gorillas
Elephants
Rhinos
Cape Buffalos

Essentially I have to balance stopping power against public safety and the risk of over penetration.
If anyone has any suggestions as to rifle/caliber/load selection it would assist in my pursuit. I�m particularly interested in proven game stopping loads that will not run the risk of exiting the animal and presenting a public hazard.

I understand that different guns/loads/calibers are or may be required for the different game in question. Typical distances would be no more than 50 yards

Whoever you are, you have been watching too many movies! Next you'll want to know what to use on T.Rex, etc.

I doubt you are a Vet.

I doubt you are a shooter.

I doubt the validity of your question.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500 NE
577 NE
500 Jeffery
505 Gibbs

Any of the above loaded with soft points (solids in the cases of Elephant and Rhino) will quickly dispatch any and all of the critters on your list provided you hit them in a vital area, preferably the CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM, with a minimal risk of over penetration.

I thought most zoological societies just used a CO2 dart gun and tranquilizer darts for this sort of thing.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core and ricciardelli,

My sentiments excactly.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote