New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Turret Press, Redding or Lyman?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi there folks. I'm thinking of giving a turret press a try. I been using a single stage press. 4.75 " opening Frankford Arsonal press. Do I need a tureet press probably not. The largest cartridge I load for is 300 rum and 30-378. I was looking at the Redding T7 turret press or the Lyman Brass Smith All American 8 turret press. The guys who have used either of these presses what are the pros an cons? Also whats the opening on the Lyman? If I dont get 1 of the 2 I'll probably get another single stage press. I probably load around 250 to 400 rounds a year. Not very much i dont think. Usually load 223, 30-30 and 30-06. But I do load for a few friends also. Open to suggestions also. Thanks Chris.

Posts: 528 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Redding 7-station turret and can tell you that it is amply strong for any operation and has a long enough stroke for nearly any cartridge. I also have one of the old 6-station Lyman turrets which is not nearly as stout, so I use it primarily for bullet seating. No experience with the newer Lyman, which is no doubt a stronger press than the older one.

Unless you just "want" a turret press, you're not really loading enough calibers or volume to make it an improvement over your single station press. Turret presses are NOT designed to do "progressive" loading like some shotshell presses. Their advantage is in having multiple dies and calibers instantly available without removing and re-setting dies.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will it fit the large dies? Like 505

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2852 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have both presses, Redding hands down! The largest case I load is the .338 mag and the Redding seems a bit stronger.

Posts: 143 | Location: mid-michigan | Registered: 04 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I have the Redding.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redding.

Posts: 4989 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I still have my Lyman Spar T press from the early 70's. It was quite an inovation at the time. Still works great today.I like the ability to set my sizing + M dies next to each other on straight wall cases + just make one small twist of hand to complete 2 functions almost as once.Redding makes very good equipment but I have never used their turret press as my Lyman never quit.I just bought a Dillon 650 to compensate for speed.I love that one as well.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have Lyman, Redding, Dillon and Lee turret presses. My Redding has the largest distance between the shell holder and the bottom of the dies.

Do I need four turret presses? Probably not, I'm just lazy about changing dies.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I don't need it but I want it sorta deal. I know I'm gonna get it. The problem is which one?

Posts: 528 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like me my Lyman alot.
But the Lee four hole is the most affordable, and it makes switching from one cartridge set to another very convenient. The four hole is great because most of the time I use a two die set for rifle loading. That makes each turret able to store two sets of dies. The turrets switch out quickly and are very cheap.
I have two Lee turret presses. A three hole and a four. They work great and load very accurate ammo easily.

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the T7. Don't see how you could get a better press.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I had the Redding T-7 and it was a really high-quality tool.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16544 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Redding T-7 is far superior. You can set it up with all three die sets for your calibers.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had both the Lyman T-Mag II, and the Redding T-7, and sold the T-Mag II (some play at the end of the stroke). Nothing beats the T-7, nice and solid, and no play. Only use it for the .338WM Redding 3-die set, and have a bullet puller, plus a case-gage mounted on it. I used the gage to measure the fired-case dimensions, and then size the cases (if needed) for the chamber it was fired in, once I have chosen the right size case holder.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the Redding for about 7 years. I accumulated a total of four turrets to accommodate the various cartridges I reload for.

Then I discovered the Forster and I haven't looked back!

The easy slip in and out feature makes die changing very easy.

Yoiu will, hover, want a separate hand or bench mounted primer seater.

Posts: 89 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 11 April 2017Reply With Quote