New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300wthby...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just purchased a .300wthby from HS Precision and it came with load data for the rifle. Since I don't reload, my question is how comparable this load would be to a factory weatherby load?

180gr Nosler BT
77gr RL19
Fed 215 primer
O.A.L. 3.560

Thanks
Gene

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a middle of the road load according to the latest Nosler manual, rated at about 3080 fps. That's probably slower then Weatherby factory ammo, but at least as fast as everyone else's factory ammo. Weatherby factory ammo (which is manufactured by Norma, I believe) is loaded a little hotter then the other factories. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan. So, would this probably match the ballistics of a .300win a little more then the Wthby? I haven't shot it yet, so I don't know how it would shoot with factory ammo, but if zero'd at 300 the only difference would be an inch or so in drop, I think I'll use the HS recommended load.

Thanks
Gene

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GMaxson
You might want to check with HS Precision, sometimes builders eleminate or reduce the "free-bore" in the custom bbl to enhance accuracy. This can cause high pressures with Weatherby factory ammo. I have had 4 rifles in 300 Wby, one a custom rifle, all shot the factory ammo from Weatherby better than other brands factory ammo.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GM, yes that would be on par with a 300 Win Mag (or a 300 H&H or a 308 Norma, or a 30-338, etc). I would go with the recommended load for now, but I would certainly try other factory ammo in it (and handloads, since that's one of my pleasures). As for the throat thing, I would think they would mark it on the barrel but maybe not. Perhaps a phone call is in order. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I found when working up loads for the .300 weatherby using 180 grain bullets the useful range was:

RL-19 From 72.5 grains to 81.0 grains
Federal 215 Primer

So...you are about in the middle...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote