New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to 458 Win
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a 458 Win mag Mannlicher-Schoenauer on the classified forum. Been kind of looking for one for awhile.
I haven't reloaded this cartridge before, just looking for a few tips.
Since the case capacity seems to be the weak point here, I was wondering if loading longer copper projectiles like 500gr TSX or North Forks would crowd things a bit.
Any favored powders? It seems that most recipes are using medium burning powders like RL7.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wow; here are my thoughts; I have owned one in a Ruger #1. Kicked like hell so make sure your rifle is either heavy, or put a merc brake in the stock. 500 grains at 2100 fps will get your attention quickly. I disagree that case capacity is limited; it is plenty. You don't need to shoot 500 grainers any faster; they will already shoot through an elephant, and it was designed to duplicate the Nitro cartridges, all of which shoot their bullets at 2100 fps or so. I loaded med burning powders like 4895; there is plenty of data out there. Remember you can shoot 300, 350 and 400 grainers too, which will be easier on your shoulder and wallet to shoot, and you can shoot US game with it.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like dpcd said,don't be afraid to shoot some of the lighter bullets. I've been shooting 350 gr Hornadys in my 458 and they are not nearly as punishing as the 500 gr slugs are. I've even used the 350 gr bullets on whitetails.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...811086231#4811086231

The .458 Win Mag excels on DG with 450 gr bullets.

In my opinion...you cannot beat AA 2230 powder.

I have been told that X-terminator is the same as AA 2230. I have also been told that Tac, and IMR 8208 are almost as good. H-4895 is also used by some.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a bunch of 405grain Remingtons at about 1800. They are devastating on Hogs!

Accurate as hell too.

I like the 450g X for big stuff!

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Conventional wisdom suggests the appropriate dangerous game load for the .458 Win Mag is a 500 grain bullet exiting the muzzle somewhere above 2000 fps. This of course applies to DG like Cape buffalo, elephant, and in the old days, black rhino, rather than the cats.

When the 458 was first introduced short magnums were popular, and Winchester for some reason decided to make the 458 on that platform.

Early factory ammo was promoted as having a MV of 2000+ fps, but there was a lot of blue sky in that, and soon reports of dicey situations(i.e., lack of knock-down, charges not stopped, poor penetration, etc) started surfacing. The .458 developed a bad reputation.

Jack Lott improved on the 458 by lengthening the case slightly, which gave enough room for ample powder to propel a 500 grain bullet at around 2200 fps, and thus the .458 Lott was born.

Recently, however, ammunition manufacturers and modern technology have solved the MV issue,, and you can buy factory ammo that will break the 2000 fps threshold by a considerable margin.

But not all .458s like factory ammo, and not all .458 buffs are content with buying off-the-shelf product.

I've been loading for the .458 Win Mag since the mid-'90's, partly because back then it was necessary to get the velocity, partly because I am a glutton for punishment, I guess--I like to shoot the .458 a lot--and partly because I just like to work up my own loads.

After considerable experimentation, and some seriously sore shoulders, I came up with a non-compressed load that broke at around 2100 fps. That's what I loaded up for my youngest son to use when I took him on his college graduation safari to Zimbabwe to shoot Cape buff. He made a one-shot kill at about 50 yards. Naturally, the PH had him put a couple of insurance rounds into the buffalo, but it was probably unnecessary.

I think each handloader has to match powder and bullet to his specific rifle. What works in my Steyr might lock up a Winchester. I've put many rounds through the Steyr, and it may be a little "looser" than other rifles. However, it is extremely accurate.

I started off trying to use Barnes X bullets, but they were just too long, given the .458's short 2.5 inch case. Plus, I got high pressure indications, never a good thing.

I went through some other bullets and finally found a winner in the Woodleigh 500 gr Weldcore, and its brother, the 500 gr Woodleigh solid.

My load is with a non-conventional powder for the .458: I get overlapping cloverleaf groups at 50 yards with Hodgdon 4198 Extreme and 500 gr Woodleigh Weldcores. The group opens up just slightly with the solids, but the POI is the same.

As others above have noted, good results can be had with lighter bullets, and I'm not saying anything that less than a 500 grain bullet won't kill a buffalo, or anything else.

I just wouldn't load lighter for dangerous game--but that's an individual choice.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1553 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As pointed out already, and consistent with my own experience: The 350's are a great bullet to use for North American hunting. The Remington 405's likewise. That one is a big, soft slug which performs best when you keep the impact velocity down.
To Really enjoy your new rifle..take a look at shooting cast bullets out of it. They will save money and physical punishment on both you and the rifle..!!

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, guys.
I do have a 405gr mold for my 45/70, and I had planned on experimenting with cast bullets.
4198 doesn't seem too unconventional, it's about the same as RL7 and I have seen a lot of loads using that powder. I may also try IMR 4895, as I have a tub of that.
I appreciate the benefit of your experience.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...811086231#4811086231

The .458 Win Mag excels on DG with 450 gr bullets.

In my opinion...you cannot beat AA 2230 powder.

I have been told that X-terminator is the same as AA 2230. I have also been told that Tac, and IMR 8208 are almost as good. H-4895 is also used by some.

I did what he said and got his results. I've only plunked a couple moose with mine but it does seem to work.

Posts: 9439 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm currently loading 450 A-frames to 2350 fps with A2230, and 450 grain Barnes Banded solids to the same speed with the powder charge reduced 2 grains.

I have to wait until Oct to try them on hippo and buffalo, but my old load of the A-Frame pushed to 2200 fps with H4895 has accounted for 9 buffalo for me.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
If you are going to shoot some cast loads; I can tell you I enjoy my Whitworth greatly with a RCBS 405 grain GC bullet sized .459 and that weighs 425 Grains in the alloy it is cast in, and I shoot 51 Grains of AA-2015 behind it for a nice light load that shoots very well and kills charging whitetails dead. I put a tuft of Dacron between the powder and the bullet which works well for me. Some folks don't like that approach.
Also; I have never bought the case capacity problem with the 458. It's only a problem if you can't live with a 500 grain bullet at 2100 + FPS with normal Mag case pressures. Several powders do that just fine. I just can't see the problem there if the plan is to kill things and you can deliver the projectile to the spot it needs to go.
Best regards,

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote