New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inconsistent C.O.L.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Need some suggestions as to what my problem may be. I started reloading about 9 months ago and I'm having a great time with some success at developing loads that my rifles like. The problem that I am having is that the C.O.L. is inconsistent. Out of 10 cartridges I'll get about six right(=- .001 inch)on but the other four will vary by .002 through .007 inch. My equipment is brand new and of good quality (Forester dies and a Ch4D press). The dies are bench rest dies with a bulit in micrometer in the seating die. The primers are recessed below the base of the brass. All measurements are are taken with a dial caliper.

I think it has to be with my techinque because I double and triple checked everything that was mechanical in nature. Am I expecting too much by wanting my C.O.L.'s within .001 to .002 inch max?

PS: I'm shooting Barnes TTSX bullets. Could it be that the ballistic tips are yielding during the seating or measuring stages?

Jim NRA member

Posts: 74 | Location: Southwest Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Are you measuring the OAL from the tip of the bullet or the ogive. The tip can be an unreliable place to take the measurement with the simplest way to use one of the Sinclairs Hex tools with holes bored around the flats for the different calibers. Two hex's cover the range of calibers and this allows the measurement to be taken off the ogive and as this is the first contact with the lands, this is where the length is important. Your seating stem should be contacting on the ogive and not the tip of the bullet, so ruling out that inconcistency point. It its the tip itself that can and often is inconsistent and the reason that some BR afficianado's will iniform the tip length and square of the bullet tip.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Von Gruff,

Thanks for the response. Makes sense to me.

I am measuring from the tip of the ballistic tip not the ogive. I'll purchase the tool that you mentioned and go from there.

Thanks again.

Jim NRA member

Posts: 74 | Location: Southwest Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I expecting too much by wanting my C.O.L.'s within .001 to .002 inch max?

Yes. I’m sure you have learned a lot here and on other forums. .001-.002 inch is not necessary for average shooting.

.001 to .002 is a pretty darn tight tolerance for COAL.

Von Gruff is right, measure on the ogive, not the tip. You'll need additional equipment for that.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Single stage press .005" Progressive .010" is about the normal maximum variation COL.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whilst I doubt this is the issue, make sure that your shellholder is clean - no primer residue and dust where the case rim needs to seat.

As suggested, measure from the ogive. That said, you may be inclined to see greater variations in certain brands of bullets which are less consistent. I'm not saying it's the Barnes as I don't know, just saying.

You can measure the ogive to base variations of the bullets with that comparator as well. It's sometimes an eye opener.

I use the Forster seaters in most of my rifles and get great results.

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information here - I've been wondering about this myself!

Oxon

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Just use the Buhay tool sold by Tubbs on his website to pre sort your bullets and you will not have this issue.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I use Hornady OAL Gauge Very consistant.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I use Hornady OAL Gauge Very consistant.

Did you mean to post this instead? This or the Sinclair version is what I was going to suggest. I have the hex type too (looks like a big 1" hex nut with holes machined into the faces), but I found it to be cumbersome and slightly more inconsistent compared to the set that attaches to your calipers.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Bullet-Comparator-Kits/

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.a...le_Bullet_Comparator

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you really want to know what is happening, measure the bullet at the ogive before you load them.
This will tell you that the ogive is not varying (.001-.002) is a very tight tolerance.

If they vary before you seat them you can expect them to vary after too.

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by temmi:
quote:
If you really want to know what is happening, measure the bullet at the ogive before you load them.
This will tell you that the ogive is not varying (.001-.002) is a very tight tolerance.

If they vary before you seat them you can expect them to vary after too.

Agreed----told him about the Buhay Tool. After they are loaded it is too late kind of like peeing into the wind.... Big Grin

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SWPAhunter:
Von Gruff,

Thanks for the response. Makes sense to me.

I am measuring from the tip of the ballistic tip not the ogive. I'll purchase the tool that you mentioned and go from there.

Thanks again.

I had this same frustration until recently, I purchased the hornady OAL gauge and Ogive measure set. Makes all the difference in the world in OAL consistency!!

Posts: 154 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 24 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all.

I took the many suggestions to my problem and I purchased a Hornady Bullet Comparator in order to measure the length off of the ogive.

As you more experienced reloaders probably know, my problem went away. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Jim NRA member