THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how many shots b/f you clean the barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When you are developing a load, how many shots do you shoot before you need to clean the barrel? If you clean between each set of different loads, I assume you should load up a fouling shot for each set too.

Your comments are appreciated.

Posts: 93 | Location: san antonio, texas | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Actually, this will vary from one gun to the next, and also between calibers. Small bore sizes (.25 and under) usually need cleaning more frequently, (but there are exceptions to this rule too). [Smile]

<reload>
posted
If the rifle has been shot before you can probably shoot 50-60 rounds. If you are doing a break in on the target barrel while working up a load that you clean it after every shot for the first 5 -10 shots, they after every 3 shots for the next 10 or so. This isn't a must, but serious target shooters like to do it that way.

<Don Martin29>
posted
Depends how rough the barrel is. A match grade bbl might be nice and smooth and not foul easy at all. I have had this experiance with the barrels I have had on my 6mm International.

I have been shooting a old M-70 in .300 H&H quite a bit. It has been a lot of fun as the rifle will really shoot just as it came from the factory. So I let it go to see how long I could go without cleaning it and it may not be much over 10 shots! I can see the tool marks in this bbl with my bore scope. The last time I cleaned it I noticed that the bronze brush was old and I could reverse it in the bbl. I did this near the throat area quite a bit and on the next shoot I was rewarded with this old beauty doing it's thing again.

I just use Hoppes #9 and a brass brush, wipe clean and oil now. I have tried almost everything.

<BigBob>
posted
KYNADOG,
I load test loads in three round lots. I also load several fouling rounds. I fire two fouling shots, and two different loads and then clean the bore, and repeat until finished. It seems that most rifles start to suffer from accuracy loss after ten to 15 rounds. Since this is such a critical operation, I think ten rounds is enough. Good luck. [Smile]

[ 09-22-2002, 06:32: Message edited by: BigBob ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found that it has got quite a bit to do with calibre etc. My 7 x 57 mm can have more than 20 through the tube and still shoot some neat groups , whereas my .22-250 will not digest more than 6 rounds plus 1 fouler before accuracy starts to fall off . I guess it's the same as finding a load for your gun , it's just as frustrating [Big Grin]

Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I've found that it is indeed bore-size specific, but also barrel specific. I've worked different cleaning regiments for each rifle. My suggestion to you is to load up your different loads, either 3 or 5 or whatever, plus two or three foulers. Start with a fouling shot, shoot your groups, then clean and repeat the process. In working up loads yesterday, I shot an old, OLD, .30-06 with two foulers, two 5 shot groups, clean, and then repeat. It worked fine, but the loads did not. BTW, this is a good way to "straighten" brass that is not concentric...use them as foulers. Hope this helps.
Good shooting.
Coach

Posts: 114 | Location: near Abilene, Texas | Registered: 04 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
IMHO, the answer is "depends".

I clean every time I change bullet manufacturers. If you ever want to spend time cleaning, just mix Hornady's with "x's". Wow!

For the rest, after between 20 and 100 rounds, or after a range sesssion. It depends on the barrel, and the pressure, the kind of powder, the chambering, and the kind of bullet. I have a 6PPC (with a Shilen barrel) that I run at a very mild 45,000 lbs, and it just doesn't foul with ballistic tips and H322 or TAC. It's not unusual to go 100 rounds.

My 223 Savage loaded with H335? Yuck! 25 rounds, and I can stoke a coal plant for a week with the carbon that'll be in the barrel!

Premium, copper clad bullets require more attention to detail, especially in high pressure rifles with rough barrel (my 7mag with xbullets is not fun....). FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I clean my rifles after every shooting session.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
I clean mine between every 5 shot group.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
None, [Wink]

From bitter experience my hunting rifles get a jag with an oily patch after every trip. Never know if you got condensation in the barrel.

Copper gets cleaned every half box, powder fouling after every hunting outing.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<WRYFOX>
posted
If the barrel has no pitting or other irregularities, it can go virtually forever without cleaning. Many may argue but I have proven to myself over the years that barrel cleaning is overrated, and may actually harm the barrel if not done properly. I have a rem 700 that I have not cleaned since new, has over 800 rounds through it now and still shoots 1/2MOA at 1000yds. Perhaps this is an exception, yes, but it was an experiment of sorts to see what would happen. I now save lots of time after coming home from the range. Just an oil patch through the bore and a wipe down, that's it. The wife is happier too. Don't get to hung up on cleaning. Leave the regimen to the benchrest guys.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I clean every 10 shots consistantly.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I fire 1 fouler followed by a 5 shot group and clean. REPEAT.

My cleaning consists of patching with solvent, then brushing, then patching with solvent, then dry patching.

Overkill? Maybe, but I tend to be a little anal about my firearms. [Wink]

[ 09-27-2002, 21:58: Message edited by: Shark Bait ]

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<bearlake>
posted
I have also seen that the smaller cal need cleaning more often. I shoot 15 then
wet patch, wet brush, dry jag, dry patch. I do not foul shoot I have found no need.

<Ranger Dave>
posted
When I am done shooting. That could be 50 rounds. I take it home and clean it.

I've started using a bore snake which I pass through 3 times at 20 rounds.

I use Sweets 7.62 to get the copper out.