New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: best dies for hunting ammo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I like the following combination: Lee Collet die for neck sizing, in combination with a Redding Body Die when you want to FL size (note, neck still needs sizing in a separate step), and finally a Forster Competition Bullet Seater Die (Ultra if you feel rich, otherwise the regular Comp Seater will do fine). That is about as good as you can go for about 80-100 US$. Now I know that is quite a bit more than a set of Lee or Hornady dies - even if you add the NS die. The combination above is about as good as it gets without having to go to specialty dies, though.
Good luck - mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the RCBS X die, mostly because I hate to trim cases...

All of my dies are RCBS, but the Redding dies are top notch also, maybe better, but whos counting, both are good.

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I would buy a Redding 3 die set consisting of a Full lenght, Neck die, and Seating die. Bushing dies are nice but it all depends on how much money you have to spend.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
RCBS

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LEE collet for sizing use only brass that was fired in the same rifle to avoid fl sizing in a bolt gun I have found crimping to be a wasted effort if you must crimp LEE fatory crimp is my choice for bullet seating I have used RCBS&LEE and am not really pleased with either will be trying a FORSTER

Posts: 206 | Location: Alberta ,Can | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a plain (non-bushing) Redding die set for my 6,5x55. It works GREAT. I just added a Lee factory crimp die and now I'm shitting in tall cotton.

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I get is a Hornady die set because I really like the seater die. The bullet guide is sweet. And a Lee collet neck sizer. You're not likely to need a crimp die using the Lee collet sizer. If I was full length sizing I'd get a Lee factory crimp die. Full length dies don't give consistent neck tension IMO.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on what Ray said. You are talking about hunting loads. I'm sure the other advice you've gotten here is very good, it's just a lot more than you probably need for accuratereloading (couldn't resist the pun) in a hunting 'iron. In most circles RCBS and Redding are the two dies used by the majority of everyday shooters for, and for good reason. Both are usually well made, accurate, and reasonably priced. Both have good customer service departments to boot.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recommend that you try RCBS dies at first preferably with a X-die. Then if you want to move on to specialty dies try the redding bushing dies etc. I use both and think that the Reddings are a little nicer finished but their sizer dies don't have a shoulder relief hole and it's easy to get dented necks if you're not super careful about how much neck lube you use.
Forster dies are expensive and IMO aren't worth the extra cost.
Lee collet dies are a great design but like most Lee products are made somewhat cheaply.
Most of the best loads I've ever developed were made with RCBS dies, and other than for some specialty uses I don't find that in general other brands are appreciably better...........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Redding dies. I do not use the bushing type. I have RCBS that work well also.