Find
Notify
Tools

Re: red dot scope battery life
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
so are we talking 10 hrs 20 hrs or more?? I am taking it muzzleloader hunting this season and would like to leave it on while hunting so it is one less thing to worry about when making a shot. I will prolly hunt a max of 4 days with it and will prolly be using it about 8 hrs a day max. So would the orginal battery and one extra be enough or should I take more.

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found out last deer season that battery life really sucks in cold weather. I watch a freind miss shooting a a couple of deer because his battery had died. We had a colder then avg deer season.

I decided after seeing him change batterys a couple of times and then take the red dot of his rifle that they were not useful for cold weather deer hunting.

On the other hand the batterys seem to last a long atime if it is warm out. But do you really want to take the chance on a big buck. When there are so many great scopes out there.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
One battery should last you for at least a year if you remember to turn it off. I make it a practice when stand hunting to leave it off until needed. I do however keep
my left hand on the rheostat knob. Another suggestion is to look through it occasionally as the light changes. This is because you will need to know how many clicks to twist when the time comes. In the early morning you can probably get by with setting it on "1", but with it set on "1" at noon on a bright day you will be thinking your battery is dead. Change your battery at the beginning of hunting season each year and keep the old ones for the range.
Remember on distant shots that a high rheostat setting is going to cover up more of the target. Not that the dot size has changed but when it is too bright your eye sees it as being larger. This is why I mentioned earlier about checking it occasionally. Good Hunting.

Posts: 9 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi, I have been considering buying one of these sights for close range bear hunting rifle. How tough are they? Would they stand up to recoil from a lightweight 30-06 or 350 Rem Mag? Thanks for any info you can share. Steve

Posts: 48 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote