THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: More moly questions... bore paste and powder mix?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: More moly questions... bore paste and powder mix?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted
Thanks for the tips on the moly bore prep. Turns out another shooter here has some and let me borrow a bit to get started. Ordered some from Midway, their 'house' brand aka Frankford Arsenal. Figure it should work OK, as that's what I'm using for my moly coating as well.

As far as the moly in the powder... I can't recall what exactly the bennies were supposed to be. Something along the lines of easing throat erosion from the sandblast effect of the powder as it spews down the throat. Overall effect was to help extend useable barrel life. IIRC, the amount added wasn't much, maybe a few teaspoons (or less) per pound of gun powder.

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Monte, Thanks for the scoop onthe Moly in the Powder info.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The info I have for moly in the powder has recently expanded.
I found out recently, G. David Tubb ( a rifle shooter ) has been messing with the same thing.
He says it does not affect burn rate.

The general info is that moly in the powder and moly on the bullet more or less accomplish the same thing. Except with the moly in the powder the moly never gets thick enough to require special cleaning techniques.

Most of what I have seen is 10-15 gr. moly per pound of powder.

Like I said , this is all second hand info, I have not tried this yet. But I sure plan to soon.

Travis F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Travis. I'm always interested in any new techniques being tried and proved (or disproved) by the BenchRest folks.

Once you do try it, let us know what you think.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote