New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Kynoch cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have some old Kynock with non-corrosive primers I plan to shoot. I would guess vintage 65-70. They have larger primers than todays Kynochs or Federals. Are these ok to reload and if so what primer do you use.

Just probably getting started so if anyone has any 470 dies, press, etc. they would like to sell I am in the market.

Will also put a WTB on Classifieds.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BigBear

The cases to which you refer are loaded in all probability with the brass coloured Kynoch 172 primer, this is a berdan primer that uses two flash holes with a built in anvil in the case.

RWS did a primer that would fit the bill although I am unable to recollect the number, at one time the Old West Scrounger ( Dangerous Dave) stocked them but last I heard they had become difficult to source.

You would need a primer removal tool to remove the spent caps as they will not de-cap with a normal F/L die.

Also the brass used back then was never designed to be re-loaded and as a result tended to be light in construction which tended to split readily, especially in some of the larger sized chambers. The triple stab crimp used to hold the bullet also acted as a weak spot often burning through at the point of the stabs.

In short, although it is fully possible to re-load the cases, better money would be spent buying more modern brass such as that from Horneber in Germany, this is boxer primed and made from modern brass, in a good condition of rifle you should get 6 or more re-loads per case and still be able use regular L/R (magnum) primers which are more readily available

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBBear:
I have some old Kynock with non-corrosive primers I plan to shoot. I would guess vintage 65-70. They have larger primers than todays Kynochs or Federals. Are these ok to reload and if so what primer do you use.

Just probably getting started so if anyone has any 470 dies, press, etc. they would like to sell I am in the market.

Will also put a WTB on Classifieds.

While a Berdan cannot be decapped with a pin like a Boxer, you can pop them out hydraulically by filling the case with water, setting it on something that has a crack or hole that will allow the primer to pop out, and put a tight-fitting wooded plug into the case mouth. Next, strike the plug a sharp blow with a hammer. Out comes the primer, and the water squirts out the flash holes, washing them and primer pocket out good.

I used to decap Berdan 6.5X55mm cases similarly by using the .264" expander plug & die from a set of Lyman 310 tool 6.5mm Jap. dies. Worked like a charm! Had to let the cases sit for a couple of days to dry out before loading them. (Those Swedish cases were just too good to scrap!) Reprimed with Norma or RWS .217" primers.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote