Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H w/ 260gr Noslers
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone worked up a load with this combination and chronographed it?
I'm working with this combo in preparation for an upcoming bear hunt. I am favorably impressed with the groups and velocities. My top load thus far has been 74grs R15 with Fed. 210 primers, averages 2900fps from my 25" M70 barrel.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just playing with this very load yesterday.

My old M70 was recently re-stocked and bedded with a McMillan and the operation seems to have changed the preferences of the rifle rather dramatically. It used to like 300s much better than the 250-260s, but now the 300s do not group as tight and the 260s are blowin' my mind!

With 50 rounds previously digested and a hot barrel, the damn thing sent (5) 260s w 71 grs of RE15 and (5) 260s with 73 grs of RE15 all into the same ragged hole measuring 1.2"!

Unfortunately, I had run out of battery on the chrono and did not get velocities. I will be duplicating the loads and going up slightly this coming weekend. I'll post the results.

I'm using 215 primers, Nosler 260 partitions, COL of 3.6", and mine is a 25" tube, also.

Regards,

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I've loaded the 260 gr. Partitions & the new Ballistic Tips in my friend's SS M70 375 H&H. We never did much accuracy testing with the Partitions, but I did use one to take a mule deer that was hit, and tried to get up when we approached it. The shot was about 10 feet, and it put the deer down for good with a lung shot. Good damage, and it exited, of course. I don't have a chronograph, but that load could have been going as slow as 2500 fps out of the 20" barrel of the A-Bolt I was shooting.

With the Ballistic Tips, we have used RL15 and Hodgdon Varget. 5 shot groups at 100 yards were around 1.25" with both powders.

He's using CCI 250 primers, R-P brass, O.A.L. of 3.6", 24" barrel.

Good Shooting.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 260 gr Partition over 74 grs of Re 15 (goes 2840 fps in my 23" barrel) to take a couple of bull elk. Very accurate and very effective.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using 73 grs RL15 with Fed 215 primers behind the 260 grain partition. I get 2750 fps out of my M70 stainless (24" barrel), accuracy is quite good. I made my longest shot ever, 325 yds on a whitetail doe, with this load.

<konst>
posted
Hey,
I worked up a loading for my .375 H&H with Nosler Partitions, 260gr. the max. loading data shows 73,3 grain of N140 Powder, so i started with 68gr.
I loaded 2 shots per powder-loading, and raised the charge of powder per o,5 grains by every loading. I ended with my loadings at 71 grain, and in the end i had 12 loads to shoot on the range.
All laborations shot together in a group of 3 cm.
I was wondering a little bit, because my gun seems to eat every loading. I have to regret that i don�t have any velocities , but will check them out next weekend.
Bullet: Nosler Partitions 260gr.
Primers: RWS Magnum Primers
Brass: W-P, nickeled
depth of seating: right to the crimp rill on the bullet.

by the way: eats the ,375H&h every load ?
Have you get the same results when you tetsed your loadis on the range?

cheers
konstantin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just started working with these bullets and am pleased with the accuracy. I'm loading 75 gr. Reloader 15 and getting 2,850 fps out of my Remington Classic 24' barrel.

Posts: 125 | Location: Coalgate, Oklahoma | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
We shot the 260 gr. Ballistic Tip load at the range last night. 69.0 grs. of Hodgdon Varget put 3 shots into 1.5" @ 100 yards, with one flyer. Two of the shots were in one hole, about 4/10 of an inch. This was with a pretty good wind, and we were rushing a bit so we could go bear hunting later on in the evening.

P.S., the 260 gr. Ballistic Tip is much longer than the 260 gr. Partition, so I'm sure powder charges would have to be reduced a bit. 69.0 grs of Varget had a bit of room before compressing.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My standard load was 76.5 grs. of RL-15 with the 260 gr. Nosler and I got 2825 FPS (5 shot average) in my Winchester M-70, 26" barrel. I have shot a lot of game with that bullet/load combo..It's not my favorite on Eland, prefering the 300 gr..

My old FN Mauser gets 2870 FPS with 74 grs. of RL-15 and the 76.5 gr. load is just a little too hot for it. Shows the difference in guns of the same caliber.

Sooo, I have loaded all my ammo at the FN's load choice, so I can use all my loads in both rifles...both shoot very accurately with the lower 74 gr. loads.

My Holland & Holland likes the 74 gr. load and dotes on RN bullets and since it is strictly an iron sighted rifle (unless I can find a Griffen & Howe side mt. for a 98 Mauser)the RN bullets suit me fine, actually I prefer them for ranges up to 300 yds.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote