New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer Tools Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have used an old primer feed tube on my RCBS press for a very long time and they don't make them anymore. My question is how you keep the primers oriented properly in the hand held models with a tray? Secondly, whick brand of hand primer works the best?

Another question concerns a new product from RCBS which the Gold Medal set of dies with changeable bushings for the neck sizing and no expander ball to pull back through. Their information sounds convincing that it is the best way to go.
In reality, have you guys tried the bushing dies and do you notice much improvement?

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushing dies are the best way by far to get accurate necks, but cases should really be turned to as close to even walled as possible before using such a die. Where are you located in Florida?
I own a lot of dies [no idea how many] and not one of them is not a busghing die.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by b beyer:
Bushing dies are the best way by far to get accurate necks, but cases should really be turned to as close to even walled as possible before using such a die. Where are you located in Florida?
I own a lot of dies [no idea how many] and not one of them is not a busghing die.

I am in Port Orange and shoot at the Titusville Gun Club.
Do you do your turning with new brass only or can it be done at any time after firing?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probebly a little bit better to turn new brass, but it could be done to fired brass also. I would think that the inside of the neck should be cleaned fairly well before turning as a hardened mandril is inserted into the neck and the case is rotated on the mandril. Where are you in relation to Pensacola? Didn't I hear on the news that your mayor or manager was just throun in jail for something or other?

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just looked up where you are located. I was going to suggest that if we were close enough we could meet and I could show you how to use a turning tool. Almost 500 miles, wow this is a big state. I just may have a k&m neck turner for you if you are going to start, I am not sure as I am down here for the winter and do not know exactly what I brought with me. I am sure that I do not have mandrels or the expander mandrel holder that is needed along with the turner. I will have to look in the truck, as that is where all my loading is done. A little neck turning and sizing with a bushing die will make your brass last a lot longer and more than likely be more accurate.

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwight:
My question is how you keep the primers oriented properly in the hand held models with a tray? Secondly, whick brand of hand primer works the best?

The RCBS hand primer works well for me. I have not tried other brands. The primer tray has the grooves which when shaken, orient all the primers cup side down. Then you snap on the close-fitting clear plastic lid to keep them all in place. Tilt the whole unit slightly so the primers slide down into the shell holder and it's ready to start priming.

I decided on the RCBS because it has a metal barrier which blocks off all the other primers in the tray while seating the one in the shell holder. If that one detonates, the others are protected.

Also Lee hand primers recommend you NOT use certain brands of primers because of safety reasons. I wanted a tool that could safely seat any brand. The RCBS does that.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Bob and Dave,

Bob, I don't about the mayor news. I don't worry much about local politics. It is funny that a race town has a grandma for a mayor.

I am planning to start turning but fishing for information. I research a lot before I make changes. I currently am on about the 10 loading so I don't have a brass life problem. From what I have read on the subject is that is more for accuracy but I am thinking it is more for a competitive shooter than a hunting round.
But being a reloader I will probably try it at some point.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW--I have the RCBS hand primer and really like it. Then I saw some guys liked the lee and it was priced really cheap so I got one thinking I'd leave one sitting with a magnum shell holder and one with a reg shellholder. The lee is a piece of junk compared to the rcbs. It's a typical case of getting what you pay for and the lee is about 1/2 the price of the rcbs but I'd really recomend you spend the xtra $$ cause your the lucky one who gets to use it for many years to come!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dwight,
I find this on the Huntington on-line catalog. The parts are available, though a bit pricey.
----------------
RCBS AUTOMATIC PRIMER FEED COMBO
Order Form

Part #
Description
Retail

Automatic Primer Feed Combo

Primer Feed Tube Assembly (large)

Primer Feed Tube Assembly (small)

This unit is designed to fit on most reloading presses. It is designed to drop primers one at a time into the primer plug and sleeve each time the primer arm returns from seating the previous primer. This unit eliminates primer contamination. The tubes are interchangeable and designed to pick up the primers upside down. The tube then inverts and is inserted into the body and the key is removed so the primers can drop down to the insert position.
------------------------
Model shops and craft stores have a range of telescoping brass and aluminum tubing from which you may be able to fabricate replacement tubes.
If you have damaged or worn RCBS products, they are warranted for free repair or replacement.
------------------
Call RCBS Customer Service at 1.800.533.5000 or 1.530.533.5191 Monday through Thursday 6:30 AM - 3:00 PM PST
--------------------------------
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Posts: 117 | Location: Darkest California | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The only rub I have on the RCBS is it's a hassle to change shell holders. I sold mine & bought a Hornady. Esaier to change shell holders & a more comfortable grip/mechanism. The Lee isn't a bad tool but you do get what you pay for when buying any Lee product.
BTW. Lee doesn't rec. Fed. primers because they are a bit more sensative than CCI, RP, etc. You can accidentily set off a primer in ANY priming tool.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fred--does the hornady tool use universal shellholders...ie could I use my rcbs shellholders in it?? (Maybe time to make up a little auction package and get rid of that lee on e-bay)

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
K&M makes an excellent hand primer.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My old RCBS primer feed tube that attaches to the rock chucker has not broken yet but I considering moving to a newer hand held model. Sounds like RCBS is the winner so far. Thanks for your time guys.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yes kraky, it takes a Hornady shell holder, but there are little bushings that come w/ it to custom fit diff. manuf. shell holders (I use RCBS & Redding interchangably).
https://www.hornady.com/shop/

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
I really like my Hornady primer, but this new looks to be even better. Jay

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=217

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Using the rcbs hand primer (bought in 2002) Various caliber.
Just wondering if anyone has problem with shellholder being diffrent dimension and causing primer to be recessed with one shellholder or protude and not seated deep enough with another shellholder. If they are deep it is easy to crush them because of leverage at seating.
Most all my shelholder are old RCBS (1970?)and I should buy a new full set but I am wondering if new shell holder are held to a closer dimension. Also some of the older rcbs shellholder I had to dremel the center hole out and chamfer to fit the neck on plastic guide. Didnt want to spend money unless it would fix problem. Almost ready to go back to priming in press after a hang fire I think was caused by slighty deep seating and a 8PT buck got awaay before I could chamber second round. I was not happy and pulled about 100 rounds that primers were sliglty depressed on ( maybe 0.003). I realize bolt f pin travel is critical and pin was clean and dry.

Hint: I have a large Oring about 1 1/4 dia that I put around hand primer before I change shellholder and it keep the handprimer spring and crap from flying apart during shellholder change. Kind of aggrevating to have to reassembly parts after they go everywhere. I also tape the priming pin in to keep it from falling out before I get it in box. I think I will magnetize small and large pin so it will stick to follower inside hand primer and not fall out so easy. LOL