New
Find
Notify
Tools

7-30 waters help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm just starting to load for my buddies 7-30 waters. He gave me the components. Problem I'm having is finding any load data. I'm using 120 gn hornady spitzer bullet and varget powder. I was going to use 35 grains of varget. Is that ok and what is the oal of the loaded round? I can only find load data for flat point bullets. I have 6 manuals and not one have any info on this cartridge. Thanks.

Posts: 381 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Dont think i would start at 35gr. ??? Data here, but not with that bullet. http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp http://stevespages.com/page8a.htm

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Doesn't matter whether the bullet is pointed or flatnosed...you can use the same data, just start near the middle of the range and work up slowly.

Barnes, Lyman, Hornady, Sierra all have data for FP's which can be used with pointy's....just DON'T use pointy's in a tubular magazine...one up the spout and ONLY one in the tube works well...been doing that in Win 94's since the mid 50's.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reason I asked on the oal, is because the pointed bullet is longer than the flatpoint. Looking at the data off of hodgdon, the flat point oal length is a good bit shorter than the pointed. Why wouldnt you load at 35? The book is calling for 34 start. Cant see that being much of an issue.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
35gr.- When i look at Hodgdon data for varget powder, i look at the next bullet weight. The 130 gr lists 35.6gr max. Not all bullet have the same bearing surface. If your 120gr Hornady has more bearing surface than the 120 Nos Fp that Hodgdon lists with there data, you will have higher pressure. Different components=Different pressure. Click "print" on the Hodgdon site, you will see components used.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll check when I get back home and look at the manuals I have. I'm shooting 35gr of RL15 with 120gr Sierras in a 16.25" Contender carbine.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great, thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady data show 32.6gr of Varget as starting load and max of 35.5gr of Varget. That included several of their bullets not flat points. The data just said max OAL of 2.83". In my Contender carbine I just seated .010" off the lands.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have a 7-30 Waters in a singleshot rifle with a 20-inch barrel. Look in the pistol data section of most reloading manuals and you will find data for the TC Contender in 7-30 Waters that should work for you.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote