New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primers
 Login/Join

<rugerman>
posted
I am interested in which primers everyone has had better results from as far as reliability in firing (has any ever snapped?), differences in chrono speed variances, or which has been the most common to pierce or blow out.

<Eric Leonard>
posted
i`ve used them all and have never had a failure.

------------------
SPEED KILLS

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
rugerman -
Have had two primers pierce while firing loads that weren't close to max. Both Federal F210's, from the same lot. The rest of the lot got deep-sixed.

R-WEST

------------------
"it is up to God to judge these terrorists; it is up to us to arrange their meeting" Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
As long as I have done my part, I have never had a primer failure, regardless of manufacturer or type.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience primers seem to work better with some types of powder than others. Last Sunday I was fire forming new cases (weighed, deburred, primer pockets uniformed and trimmed to 2.005") to my 308 Winchesters chamber. I loaded 10 with 41 grains of IMR 4895 using the CCI BR-2 primer and 10 using the same powder charge and WLR primer. Both loads were loaded in Winchester brass and the 168 gr. Sierra MK. The loads using the WLR primer gave 70 more fps (2540 fps) than did the CCI BR-2 primer(2472 fps). The accuracy was better with the CCI BR-2 than the WLR. To verify I loaded 10 more of each and the results were duplicated. Overall I have had the best accuracy with the CCI BR-2 in my 308. During cold weather I use the Federal 210M primer. I was using 46.5 gr. of IMR 4064 in the same rifle, and again Winchester cases, with the Federal 210M the groups aveaged in the upper .6's to the upper .7's. I changed to the CCI BR-2 and the same 46.5 gr. of IMR 4064 and the groups shrank to the low .4's to the mid .5's nothing else was changed. So try different primers can make a diffence.

As far as small rifle primers go...I feel that none compare to the Rem. 7 1/2

JMHO...Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight...RiverRat

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight.......RiveRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
<harkm>
posted
I've got a question about magnum primer. A gunsmith today told me to ALWAYS go with the magnum primer when using over 40-45 grains of powder. I have never read that on this board so I was a bit skeptical. However, he has been in the business for 30 years! Is this true? He recommended Remington 9 1/2M.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Harkm,

I am in the same area as you and I wonder who would make such an unqualified statement? I would me careful on adhering to this person�s advice.

DWM

Posts: 109 | Location: Colleyville,TX | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load over 50grs of 4350 in a 30-06, .280 and a .270 and use standard cci primers.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<MAKATAK>
posted
HARKM

My advice is to go with what your loading manual uses, powder, primer, case and bullet, for the load you want to use until you get well aquainted with powders, burning rates, ball vs log, case size and, of course, primers.

I did some primer testing way long time ago and got all kinds of variations including accuracy changes from .5" to 1.5".

I usually use a magnum primer with ball powders and magnum size cases and standard primers with log powders and non-belted cases but I had some loads for a 7mm mag that used a standard Rem 9 1/2 and a full case of powder and they shot good groups with high velocities in hot or cold weather.

Don't believe any blanket statement, go with what the powder and primer companies and load manual say. They developed the load with the specific components and when you make changes in those components you can cause problems for yourself.

Take it from me, changing sh-- can make you sh--. I have a few "beginner loader" stories that cause me to wonder how I made it through adolescence, much less to where I'm at now. I also have a Remington bolt head with a case welded in it to remind me what can happen if I get "Magnumitis" again.

<harkm>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Busa Dave:
Harkm,

I am in the same area as you and I wonder who would make such an unqualified statement? I would me careful on adhering to this person�s advice.

DWM

Busa Dave, the gunsmith I am referring to is located very close to you in Carrollton. Maybe he said I should use the magnum primers because he was out of regular primers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of primers, does anyone know if there is a chart to show which primers are hotter than others? kind of like a powder burn rate chart.

Posts: 28 | Location: bedford, pa | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Regarding accuracy, I believe most of us have determined Federal Match primers are consistantly the best.

WW primers have a reputation for being very hot.

Regarding reliability, all the primers I have used have been reliable when I have been careful about keeping them uncontaminated. I had a batch of primers that got contaminated, and they would periodically fail.

I don't believe that I have had any other primer fail on me, and I have popped a lot of 'em.

I find that using magnum primers unless they are needed because of ball powders, very slow powders or very cold conditions, does not contribute to good accuracy.

Generally, when developing loads, I will use WW or FC primers. Both seem to provide very consistent ignition. When fine tuning a load, the primer is the last thing I play with. The first is seating depth.

Pistol primers are softer than rifle primers. It is not a good thing to use a pistol primer in a rifle. If it will ignite, I have not had problems shooting rifle primers in my pistols. (I have .44mag pistols and rifles, and use the same loads in both.)

Check some back issues here. Saeed did some serious primer studies a year or two ago.

Ku-dude

<Eric Leonard>
posted
from precision shooting magazine.they said the rem. primers would stand the most pressure.

[This message has been edited by Eric Leonard (edited 02-04-2002).]

<Dyno>
posted
Eric,
Great pictures...
Do you have any more? I would like to see pictures of the most popular standard Lg Rifle primers. CCI 200,Rem 9 1/2,Fed 210,Win WLR

Best,Dyno

[This message has been edited by Dyno (edited 02-04-2002).]

<rugerman>
posted
I have been very interested in all the postings. Here is the main reason I started this thread. I have used several different kinds of primers. Some of the books I read and the majority of the shooters I have read on here prefer Remingon 91/2 primers. I had never tried any so I decided to try some. I loaded six shells with the primers, 3 with IMR 4064 and 3 with IMR 4350. On the third shot of each powder, the primers pierced. That was my first and last experience with Remington primers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Those pictures mean nothing. They don't tell of the duration of the flame.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Dyno>
posted
Rugerman,
Would you share with us the primers that you do like and use ?

Best,Dyno

<rugerman>
posted
I like the CCI 250 magnum primers in my 280 and 7mm Mag. I got my wife a Remington Model 7 in 260. I have been using Winchester LWR primers in it with good results. I have never had any failures with these primers. I had two CCI 200 primers snap on me in the 280 for whatever reason. That is when I started using the magnum primers in it also. Also got better results and a few more fps.