New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Collet dies not durable
 Login/Join

<Yspen>
posted
I have been using the Collet dies for two calibers now for about two years. I found them very effective and easy to use ....BUT

Recently I noticed a lip form at the base of the collet as if the collet is getting compressed . I didn't give much attention to it but this weekend at the range I noticed that my last reload wouldn't chamber .
On close inspection it appears that the shoulder was bumped back and it buldged out under the shoulder . It seems as if the "compressed" collet applied force on the shoulder and body of the case .

The lip of the collet is now so formed that I cannot remove it from the body of the die.
It seems it is now useless and I can only discard it ?
Anybody else experienced this collet metal compression ?

Am I applying too much force with these dies ?

Any comments appresiated

Ben

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using collet dies in four calibers for some years and have loaded many thousands of rounds with no problem. I think you are using too much force, just back the die off a little and see what happens. I think what happens is that if after the collet is fully pressed the case wall against the mandrel then any further vertical movement has to be taken up by pushing down the shoulder as the neck can no longer slide. I have noticed this problem when going over to cases with thicker necks than those I adjusted the die on.

You should send the die back Lee, they will probably send you a replacement. But if one of my collet dies failed I would have no hesitation about buying another. Also it might pay to have the mandrel reduced in dia. by a few thou'.

Posts: 157 | Location: england | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have experienced the same deformation of the collet base where it contacts the shell holder head. This is a result of setting the die so that too much pressure is applied (usually in an attempt to size the neck a little tighter). If you will reduce the size of the mandrel a couple of thousandths, you can get the desired neck sizing without overstressing the die. I've also learned to rotate the shell 45 degrees and size again, which gives the effect of an eight petal collet and tightens and evens the neck a bit.

Lee uses very clever engineering to produce inexpensive products. Unfortunately, in order to produce it cheaply, the die collet is softer than it should be. This is just one of the compromises you have to learn to live with when using Lee products. The bright side is that when a Lee breaks or wears out, you can usually just buy a new one for less than it would cost to fix one of the higher quality-higher priced products.

[This message has been edited by Stonecreek (edited 05-20-2002).]

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dino32HR
posted Hide Post
Send it back to Lee. They DO STAND behind thier products ! They'll either replace it repair it for free, or charge a minimal amount to repair.

-Dino

Posts: 243 | Location: Northeast OH | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
send it back, from what I have heard they realy "Stand by their produckts"

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I've used Lee Collett Dies and will use more.

You've been given good advice, above, as to how to proceed.

Russ

------------------
"Out here, 'due process' is a bullet!" -- John Wayne, "The Green Berets"

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I was at my usual gun store yesterday and stopped by the section with "used" things for sale. There were some dies in a baggie. They were Lee dies. I looked to see what they were, and they were Collett Dies for the .375 H&H Magnum. The guy had no idea what he wanted for them, so I suggested seven bucks -- and that's what I got them for.

They've NEVER been used! I don't know what happened to the box, but I don't care.

I just happen to have a .375 H&H Magnum in the works and will be putting these dies to good use in a few days.

Every now and then, I find a steal.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a question for the Lee Collet fans.

Anyone mixed and matched the collets from one caliber to another?????

I have a 338-06 but Lee doesn't have a collet die for that one. Wonder if the collet and mandrel from a 338 Mag would work in a 30-06 die?????? Might even work for a 375-06.

I think I might email them to see if something like this would work. Might even work for a 22-284, 6mm-284, 6.5-284, 22-243.

What say ye???? Hazard a guess???

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes] Makatak