Notify
Tools

Quality of A-Square brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted
HI all,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with A-square brass? This is for a 338-06 and yes, I know I can make it out of 30-06, but wanted some virgin stuff...

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
brian-
not a lot of experience with it, but i had 20 rounds of 416 remington brass, and left them in my car overnight during wintertime. the natural condensation that normally occurs on metal was on it, along with some winchester 8mm mauser brass. the next day, there was greenish spots on the brass, like a mold or fungus. some 3m metal polish removed most of this, but not all of it, and worse still, it pitted the brass. the factory 8mm winchester brass was fine. now this was the natural moisture that builds up in the interior of a car, much like the fogging of a window. hate to have had it in a tropical or humid enviroment!!! not knocking a square, or his products, as art alphin seems like a nice guy, and definetly very knowledgeable, but the brass i had i wasn't too impressed with! just my .02 !

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brianbo,
I bought some of their new 338-06 last year and I have been very happy with it.

Based on old reports I wanted to test it before I started doing load development. I have 5 cases that have been loaded to max 16 times and are still going strong. Don't know about their old stuff, but the new A-Square brass is high quality.

Posts: 152 | Location: Carlisle. PA | Registered: 25 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't give you an answer about new brass as I have not tried it but the old brass was definitely variable quality.

My own experience was with Lott .458 Lott and I found that a number of the case heads split just ahead of the belt, whether this was due to over hard brass or too soft I cannot say but some cases opened up along a .5" length

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote