New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aluminum rifle case.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I scrounged some 8x57 brass at the rannge to take home and check out for my 9.3x57

Its olympic ammo made in greece.

I weigh it compare to WW brass and its 30 gr lighter. Hmmm..

Its got some kinda laquer coating on it greenish brass color and wont wipe off with some carb cleaner so I use some 400 grit paper on it for the hell of it.

Well its a silver color underneath and aluminum explains why its so light.

Ill just toss it, but has anyone reloaded aluminum rifle cases? How is the metalurgy caracteristics on aluminum cases compared to brass. Id imagine it is brittle.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
several years back, i tried reloading some aluminum pistol "brass" that was aluminum... the primer pockets would not hold a new primer...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It "may" have that Berdan Style Primer. Look down inside the case and if you see "2-flashholes" it uses a Berdan Primer.

But even if they are Boxer Primed, there is too much Pressure for "me" to monkey with Aluminum cases. Simply because I don't know how they will react to additional loading. I have enough things to look for with Brass.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ill stick these cases in some aluminum cans to add more weight to my aluminum recyling. Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote