New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crush fit cases for accuracy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If my cases have a crush, bit a bit more than slight crush fit, will this create better acurract or worse? And will ther be any other kind of problems such as pressure? The reason I am asking is because I used a belted magnum collet resizer die and some of my cases are hard to chamber due to a crush fit.
Thanks
Elmer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you need to readjust your full length sizing die so your amo will chamber a little easier.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6642 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my book crush fit is not good. There are others that may chime in and say it works for them. Usually they claim the crush fit centers the case with the barrel more. Studies I've seen say it doesn't help and is slightly detrimental to accuracy. Benchresters DO NOT crush fit anymore. My personal observations are that I will never hunt with crush fit so why bother loading it and working the lugs of the gun more. And, it has given me different points of impact from properly sized ammo.

Now getting to the magnum collet sizer..which I have one. You do know that it only sizes the sides of the case? It really only needs to be used when chambering gets a bit difficult because of swelling above the belt. I use the collet sizer, then I size the case so that I bump the shoulder back about .002" for what I feel is the optimum fit with reliable feeding guaranteed. To each his own but just using the collet sizer as a sizing technique is really not what it's designed for.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote